15 - Cream

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Cassie finally had some downtime. Between schoolwork, sorcery, and sneaking out at night to practice magic, she had barely any time to relax. The crime rate had slowly been going up and she decided that if she was going to help Spider-Man eventually take down the Vulture, she would need to start preparing herself. She had met up with the web-sliding hero a couple more times to stop petter crimes like harassment and a bicycle thief, nothing major and she was fine with that.

But today, she decided, was finally the day to rest. Cassie sat down on her bed and began to read Pride and Prejudice. It was a book she had always wanted to really on her earth so why not read it now? She just hoped it hadn't changed in this new world she lived in.

She had only gotten about 20 pages into the novel when there was a knock on her door. "Come in!" she yelled.

The door opened to reveal Tony on the other side in a basic rock tee, a white long sleeve shirt underneath it, and jeans. "Hey kid," he said.

"Hey." She closed her book and sat up to look at him. "What's up? Did you just get home?"

"Last night, yeah." He had been gone the past week for a meeting in London. It felt like she never saw him anymore; he was always working or upgrading his suits. "Just coming to check in, I haven't seen you in a while."

"23 days," she corrected him.

"Right... I just wanted to apologize. I really should make more of an effort to hang out with you. You have no family here and it's kind of weird becoming like your foster dad out of nowhere-"

"It's okay Tony, really. My family didn't pay attention to me even when I was on their earth. I'm used to being alone. I would be surprised if they even knew I was gone."

He walked into the room and sat down next to her on her bed. "That I can relate to..."

"I know," she said, leaning her head on his shoulder. "I never said sorry as well."

"For what?"

"Your parents, I knew what Bucky had done and my brain went into savior mode. I was so focused on the sacred timeline that I never stopped to think about how you must be feeling."

Tony gave out a sigh. "I was 21 when I lost them. No pain will ever be greater than the day I was told they died. Barnes may have killed them but knowing that doesn't change the fact that they're dead. Nothing I do can bring them back."

"I know..."

"I just hope I can do right by you, unlike how my father raised me."

"I know you will."

He looked up at her from their place leaning against each other. "Would you mind sharing with the class how you know that?"

Cassie gave out a small chuckle. "I can't say why... but I'll tell you that I know that you'd make a great father..." She said, hoping he would get the hint; from his expression, she gather he did.

"Oh..."

"Yeah...."

It was silent for a moment as Tony gathered his thoughts. "Well, I could use some cream."

She shot a look at him. "What?"

"Cream. Ice cream, it's what the kids are calling it now."

"I don't think they are-"