32 - Fall

"Okay, people we will be moving on to our second unit, Hamlet!" There was a groan amongst the AP Literature class as Mrs. Gorbani went on to discuss the reading schedule for the upcoming weeks. Cassie found, like most days recently, that she couldn't focus. As the class went on, she couldn't help but tap her foot, waiting for class to be over so she could be with her friends. She stared across the room at the cell phone caddy that every teacher seemed to have these days.

She had been on edge ever since the decimation of Xandar. Any text, call, or notification made her heart drop and despite being on Earth-19999 for almost a year now, she still felt unprepared to face Thanos. Mrs. Gorbani wrapped up her overview for Hamlet as the bell rang for lunch. Cassie packed her bag quickly and raced over to the caddy to grab her phone. No notification: she sighed, feeling a little less worried than she had been this morning.

As she stepped out of the classroom, she heard a familiar voice. "How was class?" Turning around, she saw Peter waiting for her, leaning against the door outside the room.

She smiled at the sight of him and chuckled. "It was fine," she said, noticing his foot up against the wall. "I see you decided to channel your inner Troy Bolton today."

Standing up, he walked over and clasped his hand around hers. "If I'm not a wildcat that who am I?" he asked sarcastically, already expecting her to know the answer.

Cassie laughed as the two of them began to walk for lunch before another voice called out behind them. "What the heck are those two doing in a tree!" They turned just in time to see Ned catching up with them. He leaned between them, making room as he hung his arms around their shoulders. "I heard High School Musical! Are we doing a marathon?" he asked.

They continued to walk together to the cafeteria. "We weren't planning on it but I guess we could," Cassie said. She turned to Peter for his opinion.

"I'm always down to watch High School Musical," Peter said with a shrug.

"Good cause I need to let out my musical side, I've been holding it back from you for too long," Ned said.

Cassie raised an eyebrow. "You have a musical side?" She leaned forward a little more to look at Peter. "He has a musical side?"

Ned spoke before he could. "What? Did your movies not teach you that?"

"No, they spent more time on the fact that Michael Keaton was trying to kill Peter but I'll be sure to bring it up with the executives when I get back to my earth."

"Really?"

"Ned, she's joking," Peter informed him as they approached their usual table. They all put their bags down, Ned sitting across from Peter and Cassie. "You are joking right?"

Rolling her eyes she said, "Yes, I'm joking. Though I do want to hear more about this musical side Ned has."

"You really don't."

"Hey!" Ned complained, already getting excited to talk about one of his passions with Cassie.

"Oh no, did Ned start belting One Day More yet? He does all the parts it's exhausting," said MJ, plopping down in a seat next to Ned. Ever since they had gone back to school, and MJ had been made captain of the decathlon team, she had been hanging out with them more. Not a lot, though they did convince her to actually sit with them at lunch.

"You came just in time!" Ned went to open his mouth to sing, MJ clasped a hand over his mouth.

"Oh no, you don't!"

Ned mumbled an upset response as he and MJ launched into their daily debate over what was allowed at the table while eating. Cassie watched her friends bicker with a smile on her face. Back on Earth-616 she usually ate lunch alone, sometimes with this girl that her parents were family friends of hers but Cassie could always tell she didn't want to be there. As the argument continued, Cassie felt her phone buzz in her pocket. Carefully, she took it out, that anxiety and pressure building up in her before she could even look at the message. Peter looked away from Ned and MJ and noticed Cassie looking at her phone.