24 - Home

When Cassie got off the bus back at school, she was surprised to see Tony waiting for her. She squinted her eyes as she approached him, thinking that she was just going to portal home from behind the school like she always did.

He grinned as she walked up to him. "Hey kiddo," he said.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I can't pick up my favorite high schooler from her field trip?"

"You never go somewhere if you don't have to I thought I was portaling back to the compound."

"I wanna talk to you about something." He opened the passenger side of the car door for her. Cassie felt her heartbeat quicken. What could this be about? She didn't think she did anything wrong, hell she even prevented something bad from happening. Turning one last time she saw Peter pulling away from a hug with his Aunt May. He turned to look at her with a smile which she returned. Then, he spotted Tony and straightened his posture before giving him a professional nod. Tony gave out a chuckle. "That kid is something else... get in the car Smalls, we gotta get going."

With a sigh, she climbed into the car. Tony got to the driver's side and off they went. At first, it was a quiet ride, and Cassie hated that. Of course, he would announce in some dramatic way they needed to talk and then sit silently with her. He always kept her on her toes and she didn't like it.

After 10 minutes of nothing, she spoke up. "So you needed to talk to me?"

He sighed, getting off the highway. "Yeah... it's about the Sokovia Accords."

She took in a deep breath. Was this a bad thing? It sounded like it was a bad thing. They turned down another street until they were almost at the compound. "Did something happen? Did the UN vote on what to do?"

He nodded. "They did, while you were competing. Nice win, by the way, your teacher sent out a recording to all the parents and guardians."

"Thanks, but that's not important right now Tony. What did they say? Did they disband the accords?" She looked towards him with anticipation. Why was he taking so long to answer? He looked very serious; did her efforts fail? Is she not going to be able to prevent Infinity War or the Battle of Wakanda?

After a few moments, near the gate of the compound, he broke out into a grin. "They disbanded the accords. The Avengers are no longer criminals."

Relief swept over Cassie as she jumped in her seat with excitement. "Really? They're gone? Does that mean that they can come home? Nat, Steve, everyone?"

He nodded. "Yep. You did good Cas, I think your speech persuaded them."

She scoffed. "Yeah cause the words of a 16-year-old are a turning point for the United Nations."

"I'm serious! You said in the movies of our lives this never happens. Maybe all they needed was the determination of a little girl from another earth."

"I'm not a little girl," she retaliated but he shrugged off her correction.

"You're younger than me, therefore you're a child."

"I'm 16."

"Can you vote?" She shook her head no. "Can you drink? Smoke? Rent a car?" She shook her head again. "Then you are a child."

She laughed at Tony's profound logic as they pulled up the doors of the compound. They got out of the car, Tony helping her with her bag in the trunk. "So, when do they get home?"

Tony opened his mouth but barely formed any words. "Well..."

Her eyes went wide as she realized what he was trying not to say. "You're serious? Oh my god!"