4) Four of Spades [1] ✮

That same night, a couple kilometers away...

===Zakū Raisunei===

"Nine... ten... hmm.. eleven people now."

"Still counting, Zakū? I don't get why you dislike crowded venues, it's just more testing dummies or more potential help."

"More potential enemies and distractions." I paused for a second and lowered my voice. "Hey Saiki, for a foreigner that man's English is pretty good."

Saiki turned towards the man that spoke to me earlier. "He seems friendly, I like him."

"I'm surprised someone as frank as he is didn't die in their first game. Although, it's nice to see there's still some people like him. However, there is something about that man..."

"What?"

I nodded my head towards his wrist. "Look there." Around his wrist was a bracelet made of red cloth, with a bold "食" engraved onto a white centerpiece.

Saiki shrugged. "A bracelet saying food? That could mean anything."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." I said, scratching my chin. Here are the facts: that man is part of something—an entire organization. Saiki is overlooking that. That group must have to be pretty sizable to have to have people with a role specifically for food. Groups seem desirable in a survival setting, but are just a breeding ground for distrust and corruption.

"You seem more relaxed than usual. Surprised you aren't analyzing every last detail about the game venue."

"Well," I began, "this place is pretty self-explanatory. Gardening department store–most definitely Spades. We'll have to use gardening tools as weapons, I bet. Only question is what we're fighting: other players or animals."

Saiki looked up at the towering walls. "This is a pretty big store. Hopefully we chose right."

"The only other two close venues were an office building or an aquarium. The latter no doubt would be a high Spades game—we'd be dead. The office building could've worked too, but this is closer and less ambiguous. An office building? That can hold any game. A garden department store? A low to medium Spades game at best, so we know how to prepare."

I began doing light stretches, and Saiki followed suit. I glanced at my watch as it hit 6:00 p.m., and the parking lot gates shut.

The front doors opened with a shift, and a billboard flashed on.

A Four of Spades playing card.

Game: Garden Brawl
Please make your way into the building.

"Well, would you look at that?" I said to Saiki.

"Then let's not waste anymore time." He walked across the parking lot alongside the small crowd of people, and I followed. Once we were all inside, the doors slammed shut.

"Guess we're stuck here now..." I muttered.

"Nothing out of the ordinary so far." He replied.

An ugly feedback sounded on the intercom, leading to everyone covering their ears, before the voices became clear.

"Welcome players, to the Haru no Hana Gardening Center."

The lights collectively flicked on, and I flinched at the sudden brightness. Adjusting to the light, I took in my surroundings. Rows upon rows of gardening equipment–everything from pickaxes to chainsaws to grass trimmers. There were pots, lawnmowers, and planks; the list goes on.