50) Next Stage

Part 4: Division

"To whom it may concern, I am the King of Hearts."

===Gabura Sachi===
Athlete
Specialty:

"...Shit." Chihaya cursed.

Chihaya Korinsu
Freelance DJ
Specialty:

"And think about it." Kazetani continued. "They said that the King of Hearts trial, or game, or what it might've been called, was only available after all the others were cleared. Why is that? Because if that wasn't the case, the King of Hearts among us would have to leave our group to fulfill their duty."

Kazetani Tomoyuki
Actuary
Specialty:

"Oh my god..." I shook my head. "That's terrible. Absolutely terrible for us."

"Can the King of Hearts role also be a woman?" Benkei asked.

Benkei Furetcha
Waiter
Specialty:

"I wouldn't leave that out of the equation, at this point." Zakū said. "We seem to be dealing with quite the sleazy crowd, so I wouldn't put it past them."

Zakū Raisunei
High School Student
Specialty:

"I think th-the six of us have to m-make a promise." Rafferty said.

Rafferty Bucke
Forensic Scientist (On Probation)
Specialty:

"That being?" Chihaya asked.

"That, no m-matter w-what game w-we end up doing, if it's just a d-death match, or one-w-winner game, w-we keep our friendship, and trust all the s-same. W-We don't doubt or hate each other, e-even if we are forced to sacrifice each o-other."

"Agreed." Chihaya said.

"I cannot possibly make that promise." Kazetani said, putting his hands into his pockets.

"...Me neither." Benkei murmured.

Rafferty's eyes saddened, as he continued looking around the room.

Zakū shook his head. "I'm sorry, Rafferty. But you're asking too much from me."

"I..." I hesitated. "I can't make that promise yet."

Rafferty remained silent, but eventually sighed. "I understand. W-We've only known e-each other for w-what? A m-month?"

Kazetani straightened out the files, arranging them in order. "I think I can already loosely make out what the first sentence says; I've been looking at it and calculating the positions as we've spoken. 'To whom it may concern, I am the King of Hearts.' I'm assuming this is some sort of journal, or entry. Perhaps his way of leaving his legacy behind. It's telling the story from his point of view–or hers.

Chihaya grabbed some of the other files, loading them into Benkei's backpack.

"I think we can agree on one thing, though." I said, putting a finger to my lips. "We tell no one about the second King of Hearts, and how it may be between us. We cannot have the king knowing, or have such radical distrust sewn into the entire group."

We nodded; this would remain within only our minds. But my mind flickered–what about Aoyama? 'I'll have to think. She deserves to know... But by that logic, doesn't everyone? No–it won't hurt if she knows, considering she isn't as integrated within the group.'