54.1) Side Story 4 - Queen of Spades [1]

Content Warning: This chapter contains depictions of self-mutilation and graphic violence.

"But the King of Hearts was unlike anything I had seen. It revealed to me the injustices of the Borderlands, and more importantly, the citizens."

===Gabura Sachi===
Athlete
Specialty:

(Kasushika Ward - Fourth Day of Exhibitions)

The blimp drifted in the sky, faint rumbling radiating off of its engines.In the distance was a deteriorating mansion on top of a hill, dying trees leading up to it. Though, the details were too faint to make out. My body, though racked, held up.Behind me, Aoyama walked up.

Aoyama Tōka
Vigilante • Musician
Specialty:

"So this is it, huh?" She asked. "A spooky mansion on top of a hill."

"It's certainly intimidating, but for a Spades Face Card, I expected a larger venue. At least the wind is calmer around here, though."

The catastrophe of the Fourth Day of Exhibitions was a powerful wind storm. It started at five in the morning, resulting in a high casualty count. Trees and cars were lifted where the storm was the densest, and we followed the wind patterns to areas with the lightest wind.

It was nearing five now, and the wind was calming everywhere. Though the general terrain was still exposed to the wind, this ward in particular seemed to be spared from the gusts. Aoyama had theorized that the entire ward–not just the venue–of a Face Card, was always spared from the harshest effects of any catastrophe.

"Maybe it's a game centered around direct combat, then." Aoyama theorized. "Like, fighting in an enclosed space. In fact, enclosed combat is actually more challenging than open-field or outdoor combat."

"I guess the only thing we can do then is to enter. See what's actually inside." I pulled out a kitchen knife, a weapon we had retrieved on a scavenging trip following the tsunami.

We hadn't talked about what we had said on top of the cabinet since it happened, though the air around us seemed thicker.

Aoyama pulled out a pocket knife and hammer, unlatching the blade from its handle. I took a deep breath, and began walking forward. Aoyama followed me, as the mansion came closer into view, more details becoming apparent.

It was three floors, with the middle jutting outwards in a circular rotunda. Pillars lined a stair walkway that led up to the front entrance. Bloody handprints were on the pillars. Two wings ran outwards from both directions, busted windows spread through the facade.

"This is like the stereotype of the haunted abandoned mansion in horror movies." I muttered.

Aoyama shrugged. "This is what we're signing up for. No backing out now."

On the road to the right of us, a bicycle bell rang. I walked forward and turned my head that way, then I gasped.

It was Niko.

Niko Cheney
Chef • Foreign Exchange Student
Specialty:

His eyes widened, so in shock that he stumbled, falling off his bike in the process. "Gah!" The bike fell with a clang as Aoyama ran forward, pulling him up.

"Niko! It's you!"

She pulled him into a hug, as I rushed forward, doing the same. "Niko! It's so good seeing an old face!"