25) Eight of Clubs [1] ✮

The same night, a long distance away...

===Judumai Waka===
Pianist
Specialty:

The three of us drove along a bumpy road, with Chihaya behind the wheel. I fiddled with my fingers in the backseat, avoiding the dark, towering buildings that stacked in my peripheral vision. I swallowed hard; there was no need to worry. Chihaya and Niko were both veterans; I would be fine alongside them.

Chihaya pulled to a stop outside a large, high-end, apartment complex, which was bathed in light. This would be tonight's venue.

Chihaya Korinsu - Management Council
Freelance DJ
Specialty:

The network of apartments was huge. Four high-rises towered into the darkness of the night sky, each at a corner of a square plaza. Each high-rise was L-shaped, with stairwells at the ends. Rows upon rows of doors lined each floor. I counted eight floors.

"Such a large venue..." Niko muttered, opening the car door. "Wonder what game it could be."

Niko Cheney - Food Council
Chef • Foreign Exchange Student
Specialty:

"Look at that sign." I pointed, avoiding an ant pile on the overgrown lawn. In a grass planter was a white wooden sign. It had likely been the name of the apartment, but now had instructions embedded onto it in ornate block lettering.

Once four people are present, equip one of each device, and climb onto the roof of apartment D

"Oh... Four." Chihaya said. "Guess we need to wait?"

"No need." A voice said, creeping from behind us. We turned around. It was Zakū—he had on a dark blue blazer and long black pants that seemed a size too big. His clothes were dirty, and his hair was a mess, matte and stuck out in places as if it hadn't been washed in days.

Zakū Raksunei
High School Student
Specialty:

Despite that, and despite what he did in the Five of Hearts, Niko offered a smile. "Hi, Zakū. It's nice to see you again. Now we know for a fact we'll clear this game." He chuckled.

His stern gaze softened, and one corner of his mouth rose into a slight smile. "Yeah, nice to meet you guys too. Let's just get this game over with."

He walked over to apartment D without further comment, and we followed him. The plaza was well-lit, made of even stone tiles and well-trimmed bushes that lined each first floor walkway. On the first floor, the railing was just the stone, which could easily be hopped over. On all higher floors, an additional wrought iron fence lined the stone, so that it'd have to be climbed to bypass. Near the entrance was a table, and on it were four gloves, four headsets and four vest-like devices, each embroidered with a large 'D'.

"The hell is this?" Chihaya questioned, picking up the vest and spinning it in his hand. There was a cup attached to the front, and something clinked inside of it.

"A coin." I said, reaching in. I held it against the light, rubbing my fingers over the ridges on its edge and the indentations on the faces. It was a shining blue, and had a D-50 minted on its surface.

Zakū was the first to put on the glove and headset. They both clicked into place, and he tilted his head, as if surveying the world under a new lens.

"What do you see?" I asked.

"Nothing yet."

On the back of the glove was a screen that jutted out, which remained a solid white.

Chihaya was next to equip the devices, as me and Niko followed suit. After we were done, we each strapped on the vest, which hooked around our shoulders with clasps that clicked and locked into place. Zakū took off his jacket to do so, placing it around his shirt but putting his jacket back on after. At the chest of each vest was the container, which each held the fifty-point coin. The holder had another screen displayed on its metallic base, showing a '50'. There was also a button the the bottom of the container.