61.2) Side Story 6 - King of Diamonds [2]

"However, another issue soon made itself known: there was another man capable enough of being the King of Hearts. That man was Yaba Ōki. And he also won our role."

===Maeda Mihoko===

– – – – – –

"You know, Maeda," Hisa said, "you're always hanging with that one guy."

"Who?" I asked, playing with the spoon in my ice cream.

"That guy with the glasses and floppy black!" Amane said, giving Emika a nudge.

"Yeah, him." Hisa said.

"Oh... Junichiro and I have been friends since like, seventh grade now." I said.

"To be honest, he's kind of a bit ugly." Hisa said. "Maeda, are you ever going to get a boyfriend? You're really pretty, especially your skin."

"Well, maybe one day... But I don't like Junichiro! If that's what you're asking."

"Hah! Of course, you're above his league anyways." Emika said. "You know, I think Riku has a pretty good crush on you."

"For sure." Amane said. "Chikao too! And he's pretty cute!"

"Well, yeah." Hisa nodded. "But I mean, of course just take your time. No point in getting a boyfriend if you're not ready."

"Yeah..."

"But still. That Junichiro guy is just... Really weird. It gives you a bad reputation. He smells off too, it's what everyone says."

"So... Do you want me to like, cut him off?"

"I think it'd be best for you." Hisa said. "I keep hearing everyone talk about how strange it is for a girl as pretty as you are to constantly be around a guy like him."

I nodded. "Okay. Okay, I'll do it."

. . .

"This is about Hisa and those other girls, isn't it?" He asked.

"What? No!" I defended myself.

Junichiro remained silent, his stare boring into me. "Well, kind of... But–"

"Yes or no?"

"No, but they say that everyone else thinks it's weird."

He sighed. "So, you'd rather just cut me off than to face the wrath of some girl who adopted you into her clique just a year ago?"

"It's not that I'm siding with her or anything, it's just..."

"You're scared of her." He finished.

I stared at the ground, my hand gripping my elbow.

"And that's the reason why you're now following her, doing things we both know you don't like. You just don't want to be her next victim."

I nodded.

"Well, I'm not inside your mind, and, as your friend of three years, I can't exactly judge you." He got up, leaving the classroom. "Just come back to me if you ever change your heart, I won't hold it over your head."

He left the classroom, and I slammed my palms into my forehead. "Ugh! You idiot!"

In the end, I had chosen to abandon my friend rather than face the potential wrath of a girl. My loyalty was bought out by simple intimidation.

Since the Borderlands... I've promised to never make that mistake again. Even if it kills me, my loyalty to those who have shown to care for me will not waver.