31) Ten of Hearts [1] ✮

===Rafferty Bucke===

"Oh no." Charī muttered. "It appears we are quite screwed."

"No shit, it's a Ten, and a Ten of Hearts of all cards!" Gabura snapped. "And with twenty one other people while we're the only ones who have no idea where we are! Could the odds be any more against us?" Hysteria swept through the room, as the people that were in the hospital gathered around in the lobby.

"I mean, at least it's a card we don't have yet?" Natsuki insinuated.

"Araya!" Someone shouted. "What do we do?"

"Okay, everyone remain calm!" He shouted, his thundering voice silencing the crowd. "Let's not panic and fall victim to what the game wants. Let's hear the rules, and go from there."

"He's right! Everyone, listen to him!" A woman's voice said, as she weaved through the crowd, walking up next to Araya; it was Aoyama. "This is a horrible stroke of luck, but if we all cooperate and use our brains, we have a fighting chance!"

Aoyama Tōka
Vigilante • Musician
Specialty:

"Before we begin, let's take a precaution." The announcer buzzed.

"What does it mean by that?" Gabura asked, turning to me.

"I-I don't know!"

"Um, guys..." Charī mumbled, pointing to a vent.

"Oh my god, what is that?" Someone shouted. A scream ensued, as the mob entered a wave of distraught.

Me and Gabura followed Charī's gaze, which landed on a vent that began spewing a gray gas. I turned around; another vent down the hall effused the same substance. The corners of my vision darkened, and I shook my head, clearing away the growing black, bringing a sleeve to my mouth, grabbing a hold of Gabura and Charī. "Come on! Let's g-get out of here! Maybe w-we can outrun or e-escape the gas!"

Natsuki backed into me, staying clear of the smoke, as someone next to her collapsed, unconscious. Natsuki squealed, before toppling over face-down.

"Natsuki!" Gabura shouted, dropping down to her knees. "Are you okay..." Her words began slurring, as more people around us began dropping. Charī's eyes drooped, as he steadied himself against a wall.

"W-Welp, I tried. Good l-luck..." I slurred to Charī with a grin, before collapsing. The darkness won.

. . .

I coughed. Something prodded against my neck; I shifted around, trying to dispel the uncomfort, before noticing that not only was I lying down, but I was lying down on something soft. I was in a hospital bed, and a metallic collar hung around my neck.

I sighed. "Collars... O-Once again." Couldn't the game maker have chosen something more original for me?

Lifting the covers, I scanned the room I was in. My hand was tattooed in bold; I was patient number thirteen–unlucky thirteen. 'Though,' I thought, 'considering I'm in Asia, I guess I should be glad my number wasn't four.'

No sound came from the surrounding rooms, so I moved over to the front door, but it was locked. I sat back down on the bed, tapping my foot, waiting for any signs of change to occur. With nothing else to do, I patted down my collar, searching for any mechanisms. My fingers traced over a button at the end of a notch, undoubtedly a lever. I flicked it, pushing it over to the other side.

And at once, a wave of electricity surged through my body.

I screamed, falling to the floor, my senses exploding with a rippling thunder that tore into every inch of my skin. I reached for the collar again, turning the lever back. Rolling over, I laid like a puddle on the floor, sweating and panting.