epilogue

Indya Brown
📍Miami Dade Penitentiary 
December 24
8:00 am
4 years later

"Mookie grab your brother's hand please." I told a now 4 year old Syncere once I got her and Shaqir, my 3 year old, out the car.

As I went to put my purse in the trunk I heard Syncere squeak out a "Ew!" while Shaqir laughed.

I closed the trunk quickly to see what was going on. I wasn't surprised to see Syn with her fist up ready to hit her brother.

My baby chooses violence everytime, I don't know where she get that from. Must be her daddy.

"Girl uhn uh! You better not. What happened?" I asked her.

"Man Man hands dirty!" She whined calling him by his nickname while Shaqir had a lil smirk on his face.

Syn hates touching anything sticky and I knew by my sons face that he did it on purpose.

"Syncere you need to keep your hands to yourself. Shaqir stop messing with your sister. Come here so I can wipe your hands off." I told him.

Once I got them together they walked hand in hand with me not far behind them. Once we made it across the street we walked into the prison shortly after.

It was more people here than it usually is on the weekends because it's Christmas Eve.

"Y'all ready to see daddy?" I asked my kids.

"Mhm." Shaqir said nodding his head.

"Yes! I gotta tell him about everything!" Syncere said excitedly.

The way this prison is set up, they have visiting rooms that are more secluded so everybody isn't piled up in one room.

As we passed the security check in part we made it into the room where Jahir was already seated. The kids took no time flying in the direction of their father damn near tackling him off the seat.

One of the guards sat in the corner of the room to watch us. They don't say much about the kids interacting with inmates but adults they make sure it's like minimum to no touching.

Jahir looked at me so I gave him a little wave. He held up the number 1 with his finger, I did it back and we both did shared a small laugh.

We've been doing that since I first started visiting him, basically counting down the years until his release.

Due to the appeal that we filed after Jahir's second year in prison, they reduced his sentence to 5 years since Judge Reed came forward about Alexander bribing him. We didn't get much justice since Alexander literally served no time but I did make sure I got a restraining order against him so he can't come around any of my family.

As for Nia and Prince? Haven't seen or heard from them since the trial. It's like they vanished from Florida.

So as of now Jahir only has one more year to serve and I can't wait until he comes home.

"I miss y'all." Jahir told us. Shaqir sat on his lap and laid on his chest quietly while Syncere stood up in front of him ready to tell him everything. I took a seat at the table across from them.