chapter 21 - I'm sorry

note: long chapter!! enjoy reading :D

Pov: Nate

I pace up and down the airport sidewalk. "Nate deep breaths, take deep breaths, my love" Lana whispers to me, her hands held up midair trying to get me to calm down.

I sigh, "Lana, I'm nervous, I'm excited, I'm- I don't know what I am. It's been years, I missed her but what if I'm not the brother she's expecting or something? Do I sound stupid? Maybe I sound stupid." I ramble on, my heart beating a mile a minute.

She stands idle for a minute and that's when I look into her eyes, her hand extends to the side of my face, and the minute her skin comes into contact with mine... I find myself exhaling. Peace when her skin is on mine.

A breath of relief leaves me as she leans over to kiss me. "Calm down baby," she mumbles before her lips part to meet mine, my brows knit together as I kiss her back, my nerves settling.

"She is your sister and she loves you, I promise you, you are an amazing brother," she assures me with another peck on my lips, earning her a heartwarming smile from me. She's like my sunshine, my daily dose of caffeine, my everything. The goodness I so badly craved in my life is her, I've finally got her.

And expectantly, Lana knows what to say, and exactly when to say it. My perfect girl.

As if on cue, I hear a loud squeal from behind me, and a chuckle leaves my lips at the realization. I'd recognize that cheery voice anywhere.

I turn around to see Jules holding my grandmom's hand and leaping up and down in place. She's so adorably excited, god, I missed you, my sweet baby sister. I missed her so much.

I take a moment to look at her dressed neatly in what looks like a dress designed by my grandma, one look, that's all it took for my heart to fill with absolute happiness.

She lets go of my grandmom's hand and runs towards me, before I could say something she jumps into my arms. "I missed you so much," she yells into my ear as I twirl her tiny body around. "I missed you more, my little angel," I whisper, holding onto her as tightly as I can.

"You look so old, why'd you have to grow so tall and old and muscly, N?" she cutely whines with a frown, and I couldn't be happier to see her.

"Hey! stop bullying me, okay? Anyway, it doesn't seem like you're growing, Grandma does this girl eat?" I shout out while walking toward my grandma with a big smile on my face. Jules jumps out of my arms and wraps her small fist around the hem of my hoodie, tugging it down in her grip.

"Nate you've grown into such a fine man, how have you been dear?" she says and pinches my cheeks, even if I had to bend down for that. Classic grandma move.

That's when I see my granddad coming out of the terminal with multiple suitcases, how long are they planning to stay?

"Nate there's my boy. You have grown so much son, where's the little boy I knew?" My grandad exclaims as he pats me on the back, but something about what he said makes my heart sink. I grew up too soon, I missed out on my entire childhood being a parent-like figure for Jules and trying to deal with toxic shit at home. Where'd all the time go? God.

It is so good to see them again, they are my everything and were my lifesavers when I found out about my parent's situation and how they treated me. I had to save Jules, she deserved a better life than this. My grandparents instantly helped me out and took care of Jules all these years, I'm beyond grateful for them.