chapter 15 - we are infinite

TW: Death, abuse, drugs (overdose)

Pov: Liv

5 pm, my phone flashes as I check it for the hundredth time this evening. Where the fuck are they? Where the fuck is he?

I pace up and down the kitchen pathway as I constantly glance at the front door, it's been hours since he left this house. Why isn't he back yet? Where is he?

That's when I hear someone pounding against the door, I flinch as I walk towards the door and slowly twist the knob open. My heart thuds in my chest and blood pounds in my ears. Time seems to stand still and in the worst way possible, I can't move an inch of my body.

It's Jace, standing still with Luke's unconscious body leaning against him, thick red blood dripping from his fingers. "Lana," he whispers and my heart cracks in half, the earth beneath me seems like it's sucking me whole.

There's a buzzing sensation in my hands and feet, and my vision starts to seem distorted as if I'm seeing double. What the actual fuck is happening?

"W-what happened?" I choke out as I help Jace come inside, he carefully places Luke on the ground. My eyes scroll over my brother's unconscious body and my heart thrums with fear.

I bend over him to check his pulse... nothing. My fingers shake violently as I place my palm on his heart... absolutely nothing. No...

There's nothing, I feel nothing. Luke just lies there comatose under the broad shadow of Jace towering upon us, Jace doesn't say or do anything. I need an explanation, and I need it right the fuck now.

I place a hand on my chest to control my palpitating heart as I look up to meet Jace's bloodshot eyes, "I gave- he bought some drugs from me saying he wanted to forget about everything. That he wanted to forget about you. You did this to him," he accuses me and my heart stops.

Jace accuses me... I killed my brother? My only fucking reason for happiness, is gone?

"I haven't d-done anything Jace, you m-made him overdose," I barely try to choke out, but my chest constricts & I find it hard to breathe. In the next swift moment, Jace grabs me by the neck.

"You don't know that Liv, don't fucking say that. You did this to him," Jace spits out at me while I throw useless punches at him trying to get him to loosen his grip on my neck. Nothing is working, everything is falling apart.

I start getting light headed and I can't feel my limbs anymore; He lets go when he sees me losing consciousness, and I let out a breath-sucking gasp as I fall to the floor.

He doesn't check up on either of us and I try to inch closer to Luke, "And don't you dare open your mouth about this bullshit to anyone, or I swear to fucking god you will end up just like your brother," He threatens me and yells before he turns & leaves.

Anxiety strikes my heart and I need to do something, I can't let it end like this. I need Luke, I can't begin to imagine living without him. I notice that Jace hasn't left so I try my best to get some help.

"Jace, h-help me..." my lips quiver as I cry out. He slowly turns, "No Lana, your brother is dead... your brother is dead," he reminds me over and over, his voice like a broken tape.

His words keep replaying, by the minute they get progressively louder until...

I wake up and I grab onto my neck, inhaling as much oxygen as I can.

I struggle more and more, I can still feel Jace's hands grip my neck, "Luke, Luke!" I cry out until I feel a strong pair of hands wrap around my body.