chapter 1 - a goddamn miracle

Pov: Liv 

"Money is a terrifying thing" my mom sighed as she tried hard not to let her tears fall down her cheek. 

My family, which is just my parents and me, gathered in the dining hall of my house. They were talking about our family cafe - Norbury cafe, the name is odd but apparently holds a symbolic reference to my dad. 

My parent's bank account is in peril because one of our managers quit down at the cafe & without her, the business seems to be down low recently. 

It really upsets me to see my parents this worried and exhausted so I took the decision to fill up the vacancy. 

I spoke up when I got the chance and managed to pitch them my idea, "Mom, dad since you guys need help down at the shop, I want to take the job of the manager, If that's fine with you guys. I'm almost legal, I can work regularly after school & late on the days I have dance practice. I would love to help." 

A bright smile appeared on both of their faces, "Of course sweetie! The job is yours, thank you so much for helping out" my mom practically yelled out while she was hugging me. 

"Okay, first things first, a potential employee is coming by the shop tomorrow evening, you can see if he's fit to be hired, and then you can officially start your job." My dad informed me, hopefully, I already know this guy because I don't want any new introductions in my life. 

After our rather small family meeting, my parents went out for dinner, which is basically my dad attempting to calm down my mom, and by the pictures he's sending me, it seems to be working. 

My dad has always been goofy & fun-loving while my mom was the polar opposite of that, she is a bundle of anxiety, topped with the capability of overthinking everything. 

I am pleased to say that I am a mix of both, I like to have fun but still have massive insecurities about myself, which I like to hide using my 'I don't really care, fuck with me and you'll fucking regret it' facade. 

It's a shitty cover, I get it but come on, I attend River fucking Edge high school so unless I want to have a broken nose (or any other body parts) by the end of each week, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. 

Since I was home alone, I decided to invite Hayden over. I waited as the phone dialed her number, she picked up within 2 rings, a goddamn miracle. 

"Hey bitch what's up" she yells over the loud song playing in the background, which sounded like 'Devilish by Chase Atlantic' (what a masterpiece), "I called to ask if you can cross the damn street and come over, my parents went out for dinner, we could have the house to ourselves" I offered to her. 

All I got in response were her murmurs of attempts at singing the song, "I'm popping the pills when I'm sick, I only exist to fall, habits like the ghost of God... oh fuck sorry yeah, I'll be there in 5 Liv." With that, she hangs up. 

I turn on the flat screen in my room and then rush down to the ground floor, towards my front door, where the loud knocks were coming from. 

I open the door and am greeted by a grinning Hayden wearing all black, no surprise there. I've always adored Hayden's fashion sense and personality, It matches mine but overrides it in terms of wildness. 

Trust me, the girl is crazy but I love her. She then engulfs me in a huge hug and we make our way upstairs. 

She removes her doc martens and places them on the shoe rack near my room door, right next to my black converse shoes that I kept ready for school the next day. 

We got some snacks and headed into my room; Hayden and I have always been comfortable with each other and so we spent the next 10 minutes on Instagram, it doesn't even take Hay two minutes to yell an insult at some poor junior on there. 

But this time it wasn't some junior, It was our airhead of a classmate - Ember Fletcher. 

"What the actual fuck Liv, look at what this imbecile posted" Hayden practically shrieked as she shoved her phone in my face. 

My eyes caught a glimpse of what was on the screen and I immediately want to gauge them out, it was a picture of another one of my classmates in a bikini set, the caption was what caught my attention - "lookie here, ms. Rachael on the beach trying to get fucked by the football team, what a slut". 

This fucker, she's been doing this shit for a long time, constantly slut shaming girls and seducing the majority of the guys on the football team to get what she wants. 

This is why I stay out of her way and I intend to until I'm done with the damn school year, I'm assuming that's Hayden's plan too. 

The rest of our night was spent rewatching some old Disney international classics such as 'Wizards of Waverly place' and 'Good luck Charlie', It's totally out of character for Hayden to do so but I forced her to. 

"Thanks for that wonderful run-through of how my childhood could have played out but never did, thanks to my divorced parents, but I see your parent's car pulling in, I'm heading out. See you in school tomorrow, love you Lene, Bye" Hayden says as she grabs her doc martens, leaps out of the window, and gracefully lands on the ground. 

I fall back onto my bed, my eyes heavy with exhaustion as I feel myself falling asleep. Tomorrow is going to be a fucking headache, was my last thought as I drifted into a peaceful sleep. 

...

Hey guys, so that was the first chapter. Hope you guys liked it!!

Any feedback - feel free to comment (constructive & positive though)

I will try my best to update soon, until then.

- lots of love, T