chapter 7 - rage and concern

There is sensitive content in this chapter, I will start it with a TW [trigger warning] 

note: this chapter contains both pov's so don't get confused midway, I will mark when each start, enjoy :) 

Pov: Liv

I wake up to an empty room and call out his name having the slightest of hopes that he is still there but to no avail. Instead, I see a note on the side table.

 'Hope you slept well, Lana. Text me when you read this so I know you're fine, eat something. I'll check up on you soon, sorry I left - Nate' 

I smile and reread the note trying to feel the happiness I felt the first time I read it. That's so sweet of him. I do as the note says and text him saying good morning even though it's already afternoon.

That's when I hear a knock at my front door and I rush downstairs. I have some anxiety about opening the knob, but once I do, I see Hayden standing there with a plate of brownies. Of course.

"Good morning sleepyhead, I brought you some brownies that I baked, why were you in so late?" she asks as she kisses my cheek and makes her way in.

We sit down together and I explain everything that happened yesterday, she hugs me tight & we stay in bed eating brownies for quite a while. I'm glad I have her.

"What's the emotional situation between you and Nate? How do you feel?" Hayden questions as she stuffs another piece in her mouth. 

"I don't really know, I feel like he cares about me and I have secretly had a thing for him for so long that I also care about him. I would say I'm attracted to him but I don't feel like any of these feelings are reciprocated, maybe he's just being kind?" I sigh, fuck feelings man, I have no clue.

"Let me tell you something, Nate took good care of you and he fucking punched a guy because he hurt you. I think there is a good chance he likes you. Trust me Lene," she says softly and reassuringly places her hand on my leg. 

Nodding in hope and agreement, I decide to take a shower & get cleaned up. I want to forget about my brother and now I have a living breathing reminder of him, Jace

While I watch the water flow down the drain from my shower, I also hope my past and problems will flow with the water. I just want to breathe, take a deep breath knowing I'm safe and loved. Somehow, I only get that relief when I'm around Nate. Breathing so freely as if nothing matters but his presence next to mine, his smile, and his teasing words as he tries to make me laugh. 

But everything aside, for now, I want to enjoy today evening.

After getting ready, I head downstairs to see Hayden sitting on the sofa on her phone. She turns to look at me, "Okay, you aren't wearing your party outfit thank god, let's get some lunch, and then come back and get ready for the party. Is that alright with you?" she suggests. With a grin, I agree. 

We head out in Hayden's Mercedes and decide to eat at a nearby pizzeria. When we reach, it isn't as crowded as I expected it to be so we get seated on some seats out by the patio. Everything goes fine until I see satan herself sitting across from us. 

Ember catches my eye and it takes my all not to roll my eyes in annoyance, she makes her way to our table and I'm tempted to throw my pizza at her but it would be a waste of food. Why is she here anyway? Doesn't she like "HATE" carbs? 

"Hey girlies, Just came over to say, thanks for the invite Hayden, can't wait for the party- there better be alcohol. Toodles!" and with that, she clicks her heels and prances off. Did she not want a reply in return or...?