Prologue

Ethan's POV:

 It was late at night. My sons and my mate and I were fast asleep. Suddenly, June and I were awakened by the sound of footsteps downstairs. 

 "Daddy! Mommy!" my youngest son, Jake ran into our room. 

 "What is it, son?" I asked. 

 "There's a man downstairs and Liam went to find out who he is!" he exclaimed. 

 I bolted out of bed, telling June to stay right where she was and keep Jake safe. By the time I had gotten down the stairs, I could see my ten year old son, Liam struggling against the intruder's grasp. I growled. Both Liam and the intruder heard it. I felt my wolf take over. 

"Stay. Away. From. Our. SON!!" I shifted and bolted at the man. The stranger threw Liam aside as he charged at me. Just as he was about to come at my neck, I dodged and bit him in the neck, leaving him motionless on the floor. I shifted back and rushed to my unconscious son. There was blood on his temple. 

 "JUNE! GET DOWN HERE!" I screamed frantically. 

 June and Jake came running down the stairs, stopping short and the scene in front of them.   

"June, take Liam. I'll get dad and mom to watch Jake." I said, holding Liam's limp form in my arms. I handed him to June, who took my dark haired boy from me. 

 "He'll be fine, Ethan..I-I'm sure of it.." I could hear the doubt in her voice. 

 Like she was not just trying to convince me, but herself as well. 

 "Son, I want you to stay here. Grandpa will be here soon with grandma. Alright?" I bent down close to Jake's height. He nodded. 

 "Ok, daddy. Is Liam gonna be ok?" Jake asked me, his hazel eyes showed concern. 

 "That's what we're going to go find out, kiddo." I told him, ruffling up his blond hair. I mind-linked my dad and told him what happened. He said he and mom would be right down to watch Jake. June and I rushed Liam to the pack hospital. 

 "What happened, Alpha?" the pack doctor asked me when we got there. 

 "We had an intruder break into the pack house. Liam went down to see what was happening and I suppose he got caught. Liam was thrown against the railing to the stairs pretty hard." I told her. She nodded and examined Liam. 

 "Alpha, Luna, your son will be alright.." she told us. 

 "But..?" June asked, sensing there was some bad news. 

 "But, there is a chance he won't be able to see when he wakes up..However, we won't know for sure until he awakens." 

 "What?! No! You gotta do something! Your wrong!" I hit the ceiling. June calmed me down. 

 "Honey, if he is blind, it'll be ok. Liam is a strong boy. We will get through this together. We won't be alone. Liam won't be alone." 

 I looked at my beautiful mate. What did I do to deserve this lovely being? I wondered as I smiled and hugged her. 

 "I don't think you did anything to deserve her." my wolf Noir said. "I don't like you." I muttered to him. He smirked. 

 June and I sat in our son's room for what seemed like forever. Finally, Liam stirred. 

 "Doctor!" I called out anxiously. 

 "D-dad?" Liam asked quietly. 

 "I'm here, buddy," I told him. 

 "W-where?! I can't s-see you! M-mama?! W-where am I?! What's going on?!" 

 I looked at my son, as he lay in the bed, panicked, while June tried to calm him so the doctor could examine him. I couldn't believe my little boy was....blind. I stood there in shock. 

 "Alpha Ethan, Luna June, I'm afraid your son is blind." I listened as she spoke. I stood there, frozen in place, as Liam held my hand tightly, clearly afraid. 

 "It appears the blow to his head may have caused pressure to his optic nerve. If he'll ever get his sight back, I can't say. I'm sorry." she said. 

 The pack doctor left the room as June and I stood there. June cried on my shoulder. 

 "Dad? Mama? D-does this mean..?" my little boy's voice trailed off. 

 "I don't know, buddy. I don't know if you'll ever see again.." I listened as Liam cried. I took my boy in my arms an comforted him. What are we gonna do..?