Chapter 8

Jake's POV:

So, it's been a while since I realized how much of a jerk I was. Or..am..I haven't quite abandoned my ways. My mate hates me, my lynx wishes he never had met me, and my parents are crying every night and sometimes during the day! What a wonderful life I have, right? 

 Well, anyway, I haven't shifted since I first shifted. Mainly because it's embarrassing being a lynx. But also because Firgus basically ignores me 24/7. Somehow, I think maybe I didn't really mean it when I said I wanted to change. I mean, if I really did want to, I would change my ways...right? I had this thought in my head for about a week. And the more I think about it, the more I think I fully realize how wrong I've been. 

 "Jake, you good, bro?" a voice brought me out of my thoughts. David was sitting across from me at the table at school. 

 "Yea, I'm good." I replied, taking a bite of my sloppy joe. 

 "Jake, you've been quiet all day. You haven't even been listening to what I've been saying about Dianna, ha-" "What about Dianna?!" I demanded. 

 "I take that as a no.." he mumbled. 

 I grabbed him the the collar of his shirt. "What about Dianna, David!?" I demanded again. 

 "Whoa, dude! Chill! I'll tell you! Just..you might wanna let go of me before the principal spots you.." 

 I let go of him and sat back down. 

 "Alright. Well, I heard that the reason she hasn't been in school lately, was because she was kidnapped!" 

 "Wait, what?!" I exclaimed in horror. 

 He nodded. So that's why mom, dad, and Liam have been so busy..It must be why Hannah is crying a lot. She comes over a lot and she has been crying every time. Always in my stupid brother's arms..Stupid..? That's how I see my own brother? 

 "Yes, idiot. When he never did anything wrong." my lynx growled at me for the first time in a while. 

 "Firgus? Your talking to me!?" 

 "Ya. Get over it. I still hate you. But for now, we both want our mate back, right?" 

 "Yea, of course. She may be a stupid shy girl but-" 

 "UGH!! Is that how you see everyone?! Just stupid and uncool?! Who cares about who's cool and who isn't?! Everyone is cool in their own way. But you? Ha! You are seriously uncool!" he yelled at me. 

 "I-I am not!" I argued. 

 "You.Are.Too! All you care about is yourself. You don't care about anyone else." 

 I hesitated. Was he...right? I'm uncool? Selfish? Mean? 

 "Jake? You ok?" David asked. 

 "I'm going to help her." I said slowly. 

 "Huh?" 

 "I'm going to help her." I told him again. "I am done being the bad boy that nobody likes. Not even my lynx and my mate, the ones I'm supposed to be closest with me, likes me. I think I finally get it. I've been a complete jerk and idiot. I'm mean, selfish, and so uncool. Especially....towards my big brother.."

  David just stared at me as I spoke. 

 "When Liam went blind he changed...and I guess, I changed too. I lost my role model. Well, I am done being 'Jake the bad boy.' Come on, David. We're going to Dianna's house and get more information on her kidnapping." 

 David jumped out of his seat and we ran out of the school with teachers chasing and yelling at us. 

 When we finally reached her house, we saw Mrs. Scott outside in her garden. She looked up and gave us a sad smile. Her eyes were red and puffy..

 "Hello. I wasn't expecting visitors. Please, won't you come inside and have some lemonade and cookies?" she invited. She was trying her best to stay positive, kind, and polite in the circumstances for sure. 

 David nodded his head excitedly. He never turned down snacks especially when they don't cost anything. 

 As we sat in her dining room eating and drinking the lemonade and homeade cookies, I asked the question I'd been waiting to ask. "Mrs. Scott, I assume you know who I am?" 

 She nodded. "Yes. You are Jake, the son of Alpha Ethan and Luna June and...my daughter's mate.." 

 "Yes, ma'am. I'm here because I want to try to find your daughter. For once in my life, I'm going to be responsible. Now, when was the last time you saw her?" 

 "Last week.." 

 "Can you tell us what happened, ma'am?" I asked. 

 She hesitated. 

 "Ma'am, I realize that it's a painful memory, but I need all the information I can get if I'm to find her." 

 She sighed. "Alright, young man. Dianna and I were out picking some berries. We were going to make my husband his favorite pie for his birthday. Well, for a minute or two, we separated. Suddenly, I heard a scream. I ran behind the bush where Dianna was, but all I saw was her basket, lying on the ground overturned..." 

 I pondered this information. 

 "Ma'am, do you know why anyone would want to kidnap her?" David asked. 

 The woman shook her head. "No, I'm sorry..I do hope what I've told you is helpful.." 

 I took her hand. "Don't worry. I think it's pretty helpful. We'll find her. I'll find her even if it takes the rest of my life. I promise.." 

 "Thank you, Jake. I am so grateful to you both.." Mrs. Scott replied. 

 We bid our goodbyes and headed out. I needed to face mom and dad's scoldings and probably punishment for skipping school. 

 "Have you really changed?" Firgus asked me. "Cause, I don't know if I trust you right now.." 

 "I don't...All I know, is that I'm done being mean and selfish. All I do is hurt the people around me. I'm lucky I have David..He stuck with me through everything even though..we are definitely two different people." I told him. 

 He still looked hesitant. 

 "Look, Firgus, I don't expect your forgiveness or trust so quickly. I am willing to earn it." 

 "Ok.." was all he said. 

 Now, I know your wondering the same thing as Firgus. And I am ready for doubt. Moon goddess knows I deserve it. I do want to change though. And I'll start with changing my attitude and finding my mate. I know she rejected me, but what kind of person am I if I just ignore the fact that my sweet, feisty, shy little mate is out there probably being hurt. Oh if she is being hurt, I will personally make sure they never see the light of day again...And I'm not talking blindness..