Chapter 25

Jake's POV:

I sat alone outside in the backyard, thinking. 

 "Hey, Jake! Want some company?" I looked up to see Dianna walking up. I shrugged and went back to my thoughts. I hardly noticed when she sat next to me. "What's on your mind, Jake?" she asked me. 

 I sighed. "A lot...I just got the tests back from the pack doctor. He said I was fine, but...." 

 "But?" she waited for me to continue. 

 "I may not be able to shift again..My lynx used so much strength to keep me alive, it might hurt him and me if I shift. I was just thinking...Liam..Hannah said that he smiled for the first time in years when he got his sight back. But yet, he sacrificed his sight so I could live..Even though I was horrible to him. I was horrible to...you.." 

 "I know this is a lot to take in...And I know you feel bad about everything you did to your family and fellow pack members. But, just remember, you've changed. And you'll always have me by your side. I'm sorry I rejected you in the beginning-" 

 "No, Dianna! I needed that...I'm just glad in the end, we were able to be together." 

 She smiled at me and hugged me. 

 In case your wondering what tests I was talking about, About two weeks ago, mom and dad brought me to the pack doctor because I wasn't able to shift and I was still weak. Well, he took some tests and they just came back today. I know Diana means what she says, but...How will I protect her if I can't shift? How'll I protect our children? 

 That evening, I was in my room. Not really doing anything, just sitting and thinking. I'd been doing that a lot today. At that moment, I saw Liam stumble in front of my doorway. Crud! I must've left the door open. It opens out and most of the time, I leave it closed so Liam doesn't have an accident. I jumped up to help him to his feet. 

 "Are you ok, Liam?" I asked. 

 "I'm ok, thanks little brother. Was your door open?" he asked. 

 "Yes..It was.." I answered. 

 "Is there something you want to talk about, Jake? You know I'm always here if you need to just talk to somebody." 

 "Well...I do have something on my mind..." I murmured. 

 "What is it?" 

 "Well, I'll tell you...But how about we go into my room and talk?" I suggested. 

 Liam nodded and I took him into my room and we sat down on the bed. "So what's on your mind, Jake?" Liam asked. 

 "Well," I began, "I was thinking about the test results..." 

 "Ah. I see now.." he said. 

 "Liam, your blind and you have Hannah. Your planning to mark her soon. Aren't you worried you won't be able to protect her?" 

 "Well...Sometimes, yes. I do worry about it. But I know I'll do my best. That's all I can do. I don't know how well I could protect her, but we don't want to live our lives without each other. She'll protect and help me where I need it and I'll do likewise." 

 "Yea...That makes sense...But you can shift! How can I protect Dianna if I can't shift?" I asked. 

 "The same way I protect Hannah with me being blind. Do your best. It's all you can do." he told me. 

 I sighed. He was right. "Thanks, big brother." I hugged him. 

 "Of course, Jake." he smiled at me.

Xander's POV:

"Hey, sis! How's your arm feeling?" I asked my sister as she came down the stairs. 

 She shrugged. "Better. I'll feel much better once I'm not grounded anymore and out of this sling."

  I rolled my eyes. "How about after breakfast we go for a walk? We'll ask mom and dad." 

 She nodded and sat down at the table. While we ate, I asked our parents if Xandra could go for a walk with me. It took a few minutes to convince them. Finally though, I was able to get a yes out of them. 

 "Bro, where are we going?" my sister asked me as we walked. 

 "I was thinking we could go to the park. The one that has the ice cream shop." My mouth watered as I thought about the divine ice cream that shop had. 

 "Xander, I'm not really in the mood for ice cream, right now." I guess she was a little grumpy today. She's been that way lately. I don't know why. 

 "Come, Xandra! Not even a little bit of Fudge Swirl? It's your favorite!" 

 She shook her head. I shook my head and stopped her in her tracks. 

 "Ok, Xandra. That's enough. What's up with you, lately? You didn't even want to play our favorite video game! You never say no to that game. And you never say no to fudge swirl ice cream."

  She sighed. "I don't know, brother...Lately I just feel a little down..." 

 "When did you start feeling down, twinnie?" 

 "I'll tell you, just never call me that again." she said with a serious, threatening tone. 

 "Alright..twinnie.~" I laughed and she rolled her eyes. 

 "It's just that...We're old enough to have our mates now. And...." she stopped midsentence. 

 "And?" I urged her. 

 "I overheard some boys talking the other day. I was waiting for mom outside the doctor's office. She had run into the Luna and they got to talking." she said. 

 "And what did these boys say, sister?" 

 "They were talking about me. I'm a tomboy, Xander. I'm not like other girls. I'm not pretty, I'm rough. I'm full of action. I'm athletic. I'm not the type of girl that...any boy would want.." she lowered her eyes. Her voice was low and choked up. I pulled her into a hug. 

 "Don't listen to those boys, sis. They don't know the real you. Sure, your a tomboy and your a little different from other girls, but you are more than just a girl who likes sports, action, and pants over skirts. You are kind, caring, gentle, brave. I'm not telling you this just because your my sister either." She shrugged. I don't think she believed me, but she was grateful.