Rollercoaster of Emotions

I don't know how long we were out there on the bench. My tears had stopped way earlier than Mama Dun's, but we were all still eager to hear from the doctor.

The door creaked open to reveal the doctor who had gone into the room. He had brown hair and a little bit of scruff. His eyes were either blue or green but I didn't really pay attention because I just wanted to hear about Josh. He saw us and cleared his throat.

"I'm assuming that you're here for Josh?" He asked. He had a nice soothing voice, but it didn't calm my nerves whatsoever.

We nodded.

"Josh had a heart attack but we were able to get a heart beat." He explained. I let out a breath of air that I had been holding. "but, we still aren't sure what caused it. There will have to be a few tests before we can find out."

"What could have happened?" I asked.

"Well, we're thinking that it had to do with his heart problems, with or without him passing out." He said simply. "Or, when he woke up and his heart rate went up, he could have had a strong anxiety attack because of waking up in a hospital and not knowing what was going on and things like that."

"He's never had them before though." Mama Dun said, furrowing her brows.

"Like I said, it may have just happened or he may have been anxious because of waking up in a hospital and not knowing what was going on." The doctor said again. "you may go in, but we will be running tests shortly." With that he walked away.

I let Josh's parents in first, then followed after them into the room. When I got in I looked over at the hospital bed and saw Josh laying down with his eyes closed but breathing. That's all I cared about is that he was alive and breathing.

Mama Dun walked to Josh and held his hand, leaning down to kiss it. She smiled and stepped back, motioning me to come over.

When I made it to him I just looked at him. We didn't really say anything but I knew we were all silently thanking God for the doctors saving him.

A few short minutes later a nurse came in and told us that we had to leave for tests. I quickly kissed Josh's cheek and then walked out with his parents.

I called my mom and told her that I didn't know when I would be back. I tried to explain everything to her but got choked up and couldn't. She just told me to stay with Josh and come home whenever I could.

"You better head home Tyler. I don't know how long these will take and you don't need to worry about Josh." Josh's dad tried to tell me.

"No, it's fine. It's only 5, I'll be fine." I said back. I didn't want to leave Josh.

My nerves were calmed down knowing that Josh was okay. After about two hours of waiting the doctor came up to us with a look in his eyes that I couldn't make out.

"We got out test results back, and it looks like we were right about the heart attack. It didn't have anything to do with him passing out, but you better be glad he did or else he wouldn't have been here when it did happen." He said.

I had mixed emotions about this. If that's not what caused it then what did? But I am glad that he was here and that they could save him. Could it have had something to do with his heart problems?

"He passed out due to lack of oxygen, and we got results showing that it had something to do with his respiratory problems but it wasn't the only reason why. Just him running around and working out during gym defiantly had a play in it." Said the doctor, who's name was Jared, according to his name tag.

"So..did his heart problems have anything to do with the heart attack?" I asked.

"We looked into that also and we discovered that it did have something to do with it. But before you start jumping to the conclusion that his heart doctor could have prevented this, they couldn't have. This could not have been prevented or known of any earlier than when it happened." He assured us.