Taken By Sleep

My stomach was in knots and I looked horrible. Last night didn't give me much sleep. I can't believe I'm still grieving over Josh like this.

I had to give my music presentation today. For real this time. I was so nervous and anxious at the same time. At least I would have the weekend to recover if things went wrong, and luckily this is my last class of the day.

"Tyler, I believe we have a song to hear?" My music teacher announced after everyone got settled.

"Yeah." I spoke quietly as I got up and walked to the front of the class where there was already a piano set up for me.

I sat down and breathed in as I scanned the crowd in front of me. I felt so nervous. I was so insecure about my voice. Luckily I had a piano in front of me and a microphone in front of my mouth so that I wasn't too vulnerable. I looked away from all the starring eyes and back down at the black and white keys.

I didn't think about anything as I started to play, not stopping to look up once.

"It just hit me as I lay my head down"

"No one around in the dark cold night"

"I hear a sound in my head, a repeat track of everything you've ever said"

"Must be something but it's nothing, so I just go back to bed"

"It's four, crack the door to the hallway in my dreams"

"But it seems my hallway keeps closing in on me"

"Forcing me out, making me think about you and how you're gone"

"I see four o' five in teary eyes and then I write this song"

"And I just can't believe it has to be this way"

"You know we say it seems to me like it was just the other day"

"I saw your face, I saw your light, you ran the race, you fought the fight"

"But know it's all being torn down for me tonight"

"And I know it might be a little selfish for me to say"

"But I need to know if you thought if me at all today"

"Cause everyday I walk past the place you lived five days of the week"

"And now it's ten after four, and I am taken by sleep"

My fingers danced across the keys, never missing a beat. I sang my heart out, finishing the song smoothly. I slowly looked up and pulled my hands off the piano.

There were various faces through the crowd. Some shocked, some pleased, and a few even teary eyed, including Debbie.

Then suddenly they all clapped, and there was even a cheer from the crowd. I looked around for it and noticed it was Harry, the freshman with the emerald eyes and curly hair and Josh told me about.

I made a small smile and blushed, not used to this much attention. I quickly got up and sat down in my seat after the applause had died down.

"That was very good Tyler, I knew you'd do great." My music teacher praised.

She gave us free time after that, seeing that we had all presented our projects and she didn't have a lesson planned.

A few people walked up to me and told me that I did good. I would just say 'thanks' and try a little smile.

Most of them didn't know why I wrote the song, or even who it was about, but I guess that's a good thing. I didn't want sympathy or pity right now.

"Hey." I heard a familiar female voice say.

I looked up to see Debbie sitting beside me.

"Hi." I replied.

"Is it okay if I sit here?" She asked politely.

"Yeah." I shrugged.

"That was an amazing song by the way."

Debbie was probably the only one who knew who the song was about.

"Thanks." I said just like I did all the other times.

We made small conversation for the rest of the class, Debbie doing most of the talking.

She gave me a quick hug before I left. I didn't really want one, but it felt good to know that someone else feels my pain, even if on a lower level.

___

Sort of an odd ending but oh whale, I wanted to update. The next chapter will most likely be the epilogue if not the one before.

***Video is the song Taken By Sleep if you haven't already heard it.***

See you peeps later, duces.