Chapter 2 - Lemons and cakes

Let's stay with the lemons right now. After I threw my wife out the door and gave her to her secret lover, I had to tell the families, friends and relatives. So also my parents. However, our relationship was very strained and actually I didn't want to call them at all.

My mom didn't speak a word to me since I got married because she hated my wife and always told me that I was making a mistake and would regret it someday. Oh I could already hear her telling me that she would have known before I even called her. My dad never wanted to get involved in the argument and always stayed out of everything.

So I called my parents 2 days after the breakup, my dad answered the phone and I said, "Dad, I just wanted to let you know, I broke up with my wife."

My dad at least acted like he was sorry. I could hear my mom laughing in the background. "Ha Ha Ha, I knew it. I told him from the beginning. But did he listen to me? No!"

Since my dad had the phone on speaker, I replied, "Couldn't you be a little nicer and refrain from your sarcasm mom?"

"Why should I son? I was right and you weren't. Why should I refrain from shoving it in your face? How many times have I told you, stand up for who you are and don't try to be someone you're not."

"Mom, you know exactly why I did that."

"I know that. But that doesn't mean I accept it. Then you could have just started working at a different company. How long are you going to hide the fact that you're gay? You've known since you were 13, you confessed to Dad and me when you were 14, and now you're 28 and still can't tell anyone but Dad and me? Even dad and I can talk openly about our only son being gay. And also that we accept and love you so much and don't mind. Why can't you stand up for yourself?"

"Because it's not that easy mom."

"First it was because of the other classmates. Then because of the students. Then because of your job. How long are you going to go on like this Zhan? When are you going to stop telling yourself that no one would accept you like this? And when will you finally meet a man, fall in love and be happy if you don't finally admit to yourself?"

"I just haven't had time to date men yet."

"You're always coming up with new excuses. Fine. Now that you're finally rid of that woman, I have someone I'd like you to meet. He's the son of our new neighbors. Super handsome, very polite, helpful and interested in you."

"What, wait a minute, how can he be interested in me if we've never met?"

"Simple, I showed him some pictures of you. And he thought you were really cute right away."

"You can't be..."

"I'll send you a picture of him. Look at how handsome he is."

My phone beeped and I looked. The picture, well, it was just two eyes. "Mom, there's nothing to recognize in the picture except eyes."

"I enlarged it extra for you."

"And then made a screen shot of it, didn't you? So I don't see anything but eyes."

"Well, that can't be. I didn't do anything wrong. Zhan, I don't think you know anything about technology."

"Oh you think so mom? I rather think the fault is on your side."

"Son, I know what I'm doing."

"Mom, all I see is a picture of two eyes."

I heard my dad tell my mom to give him the phone because he was going to check. Then my dad said to her that she did it wrong. She then took the phone back and claimed that I just didn't want to meet the great young man because I was scared. Well, she's a little bit right about that. After all, I had never been with a man before.