Chapter 31 - Always new camps

While we were still trying to process the last events and understand everything that happened and categorize the new information, we had to move from one camp to the next. The Demoids never stay long in one place and move on every two or three days. They pack everything up and aimlessly they move on. But the worst thing is the cold, which we can't get rid of at all. We are freezing all the time and we are lucky not to have frostbite yet.

After a week, when we had set up our third camp with the Demoids, Yibo took me aside and wanted to talk to me about what to do next. Although we were not prisoners, we were not allowed to leave either. King Raha allowed us to move freely. But only within the group and the camp. In addition, we knew that we were constantly being watched.

While Haikuan was watching so that no one could overhear us, Yibo said, "We have to leave here. I want to find King Bac and the others, too, but I don't think we'll get anywhere like this. Besides, we wanted to find our parents first. But we're just not making any progress. After our wonderful week in your apartment, we were trapped in the waterworks. And now we've been involuntary guests of the Demoids for a week. If this keeps up, we'll never see our parents again."

"I agree with you, of course, and I want to find our parents too. But how do you imagine that? Do you think they will just let us go if we explain it to them? They may say we are not prisoners, but we are not free either." I asked.

"Of course I don't think they would just let us go ZhanZhan. And running away is not an option either. Because even if we manage to escape unseen, they can still sense us. And I think by the time they catch us again, we will really be prisoners."

"Mn. I think they allow us to move freely here only because we do what they say."

"I agree with that, ZhanZhan. And I'm also not sure if Bac and Raha should really meet. What Bac told us about Raha is very different from what Raha told us about their relationship with each other. Bac said they are enemies. He didn't say anything about them loving each other. And why would Bac have lied to us? There was no reason to."

"You're right Bo. But what are we going to do? We can't leave here, they won't let us go voluntarily, and we just can't reach Bac. He's not responding to our telepathic calls."

"Maybe he already knows what happened and is intentionally ignoring us. Maybe he's planning something. At least I hope so."

"I hope so, too. But I'll be honest. Right now, I don't have a good feeling. It seems to me that we're very far from Bac. I can hardly feel him anymore. And if he has a plan, shouldn't he let us in on his plan so we know?"

"Yes, indeed. But maybe he's afraid that if we know his plan, we'll act differently and Raha will realize what's going on. He senses every change in us."

"Mn. I know Bo. So what do you suggest?"

"Well, maybe we just try talking first?"

"And what do you want to tell him?"

"We'll ask him to let us go so we can find our parents. Let's be honest with him and explain how concerned we are about our families. Maybe he can be softened up with that." Said Yibo. I didn't believe that this would work. But I agreed. It was worth a try.

So we went to find King Raha in the camp and asked him to talk to us. We explained to him very emotionally how much we longed for our parents and wanted to find them. King Raha showed understanding. However, he said, "Once we find Bac, you can go and look for them. Until then, you stay here." Well, that didn't go as we had hoped.

Two days later, we moved again and set up camp again somewhere else. Yibo and I watched as Haikuan thoughtfully kept looking around in all directions and finally after dinner he told us we were near a bunker. At first I didn't understand what he was getting at with this information, but then Yibo said, "Well, I guess they can't get through a thick bunker door with their weapons, can they?" That's when it clicked for me, too.