Chapter 46 - A summary of the last days

Not after three, but after 5 days we explained to our parents that we could not stay, otherwise we would put them and the others in danger. We had suspected that our parents would be anything but enthusiastic and they might not want to let us leave. But how they actually reacted really surprised us.

After 5 days of enjoying being with our parents, doing nothing but resting and being pampered, Yibo and I went to talk to our parents in the evening. We took them into the barn to have an undisturbed conversation with them, explained that we would have to leave very soon and why, and my mom said, "I wish you didn't have to go, but I understand. And I hope you will come back to us."

Yibo's mom said, "These are our sons. They are adults, they are smart, strong and responsible. As a mom, I am concerned and of course for both of them, not just my son. But I trust them both and I know they will come back here."

My dad said, "As long as you two are together, I'm sure nothing will happen to you."

Yibo's dad said, "All I can say is that I trust completely in the ability of our sons, who are trained agents. No matter what, they can handle anything."

Yibo and I were honestly speechless at these reactions. We had rather expected tears and asking not to leave. But instead they reacted like this and told us that they knew they couldn't hold us back even if they wanted to. And my dad even said that they know how important it is for us and that he is proud of us because we want to stand up for them and all the other humans.

As I said, we were speechless and all our words that we had thought out so well before to convince our parents of our intention were invalid. But somehow it was also good to experience how much our parents trust in our abilities. After the short talk, we went back to the house, where Jing read to everyone from one of his favorite books.

The next day we prepared everything in the morning for the afternoon, that is for the wedding of Yibo and me. Yes well, there was actually not much to prepare. Because our fathers unfortunately didn't manage to build an arch. The whole thing looked more like a too big wobbly door frame. But hey, they tried and for doing this for the first time, it was okay.

Since there was no flour or ingredients other than a few eggs and sugar to make a cake, they just crushed up the last of our energy bars and made some sort of rice cake with the last of the rice we brought. Looked ugly, but tasted really delicious.

Well, the suits our mothers wanted to make for us didn't get done. Which was not because of lack of time or material, but because our mothers have other qualities that have nothing to do with designing and tailoring suits. So we stuck with the military clothing we had. They just washed the clothes and that was also perfectly fine for us.

Here and there we put different decorations in the house that belonged to all the holidays. Someone even put an Easter bunny on a cabinet, yet it had just been Christmas. But even that hadn't mattered to us, because they all made a great effort. We had expected nothing of the sort and were therefore really pleased. Even if everything looked chaotic.

In the afternoon we stood outside in the cold under the thing our fathers had built, freezing and listening to my father tell a little about us before he got to the most important question, whether we wanted to marry each other and say yes. Our answers, of course, were yes. And the reason why I described this for Yibo and myself, important event only so short and brief was because there was not much more to tell.

After our wedding ceremony, nothing felt different, we had the rice cake with energy bars and preserved fruit from last year, as well as two bottles of blackberry wine and a bottle of cider. In the evening, when Yibo and I went into the barn to go to sleep, we found a surprise from Jing. He had brought us real blankets and pillows with clean covers. Really great.