Chapter 37 - The Jungle Warriors

There we stood with the wounded warrior of the Amores, tending his wounds as best we could and staring out one of the windows with our spears and pistols already loaded. But we saw or heard nothing and no one. And unfortunately the warrior was still unconscious and we could not ask him about the attackers.

However, it was clear to us that someone who could injure a warrior of the Amores and make him take himself to safety, instead of fighting to the bitter end as they usually do, must be very dangerous. And it was also clear to us that it could not be hairless gray creatures or flying demons. Because the Amores are used to fighting with both kinds and almost like to rush into the fights with them.

For more than an hour we watched the area around our hiding place through the window with Argus' eyes, but nothing happened. But the warrior woke up briefly and muttered a few words of which we hardly understood. Only one thing was clear to understand. "Warrior of the jungle." Which he repeated several times. Unfortunately, the warrior died shortly thereafter. His injuries were simply too severe.

There was no time for mourning for a warrior we knew but not well enough to really feel sorrow. Because we were now faced with a new problem. We had absolutely no idea who the warriors of the jungle were. No one had told us about them and we had no idea what they might look like or how dangerous they really were.

We needed to talk about what we were going to do. Yibo suggested that we pack our stuff and leave. I was against it at first. We had had a long night of walking many miles. We were tired and exhausted. Besides, it was daytime and that meant we couldn't move outside under the cover of darkness.

Yibo, however, insisted that we go. "We don't know where they are. They could be close by now. We have no allies here. Besides, King Raha could be on our heels with his warriors." He said. I saw that he was afraid and believe me when I tell you that it takes a lot to scare Yibo.

Finally, after some back and forth, I gave in and agreed with him. He simply had the better arguments. However, I was not thrilled. Going out during the day, being tired and exhausted and always being careful not to be discovered and attacked, which seemed almost impossible. Because with all the snow that lay, we simply had to stand out with our black clothes.

We packed everything up, said goodbye to the dead warrior and left the house after making sure there were no creatures around. Yibo took my hand and said, "You're not going to let go of my hand okay?"

I asked, "What if we get attacked?"

"That's different. Then you shoot at anything that is not human. We only use the spears on those we miss with the guns and get too close."

"Did I tell you that I am miserable with firearms? In the army, the soldiers would panic if I held a gun. The chance of me hitting them with it was higher than hitting my actual target."

Suddenly Yibo stopped and laughed. He shook his head laughing, pulled me to him and held me in his arms laughing for a moment. "Oh my poor darling. Don't worry about it. I trust you won't shoot me."

"Mhhh, give me a laptop and a drone and I promise I'll always hit the target. Give me a pistol or a machine gun and I promise I'll hit everything but the target."

Again Yibo laughed, kissed me and said, "Come on honey, let's move on. And the next chance I get, I'll give you shooting practice."

"Um, I don't think that will help. You have no idea how many hours I've been in gun training and not gotten one bit better."

"If I teach you, you'll be fine." He said, kissed me again and walked off with me.

It wasn't until afterwards that we really realized that we had been standing in the street talking the whole time. Visible to all creatures. But we were lucky and didn't get attacked. Anyway, we thought we were lucky.