Chapter 39 - The Queen

A/N: Even if this story is read by only a few readers, I like the story and its course very much. I plan to concentrate on this story for now and only continue writing the other stories when I have completed this book. The ideas for this book just fall to me and my imagination. And maybe I'm continuing to write here a little out of spite, because despite all my efforts, this story is only being read by you few. I finished!

On our first evening in our "cell", the Demoids brought us, in addition to more hay, a few pieces of meat and a pastry that tasted almost like bread. They exchanged the torch, let us go to the toilet (in the bushes) one by one, and then brought us back. Nobody talked to me any more than the most necessary. What there was: "Your turn. Come along. Step back. Back again. See you tomorrow."

After the last of us was out and relieved our bladders, we got our sleeping bags and some blankets. The blankets and sleeping bags along with the hay resulted in warm cozy beds. At least cozier than the past nights Yibo and I spent on hard ground.

When everyone but me had fallen asleep, I had too many thoughts in my head keeping me awake, I lay next to Yibo in his arms and looked toward the torch. The fire of the torch was flickering and dancing a little. So there had to be a breeze coming from somewhere. But where? At that moment, however, I didn't really care. I was tired, I was pleasantly warm, and I felt safe in Yibo's arms. Nevertheless, I could not fall asleep. Because the thoughts turned and turned in my head.

At some point I closed my heavy eyelids. I thought for a moment about what had happened in the city and what we had seen, then I fell asleep. But it didn't feel like sleep to me. Because when I opened my eyes again, I was still in the basement room and in Yibo's arms. Well, my body did. My soul or spirit, whichever of these is correct, had detached from my body and I looked down at myself.

I touched my arm to see what was happening and I couldn't feel anything. This was really very strange. Slowly I turned around to the others who were also sleeping peacefully. Then I slowly walked to the door, wanting to try to touch the doorknob, but my hand slipped through. And it slipped not only through the door handle, but also right through the door.

Cautiously, I took another step and stood in the middle of the door. One half of my body was still in the basement room, the other outside in the hallway, where the two guards stood with their heads bowed on either side of the door. They were obviously asleep. Cautiously, I stepped all the way out the door and walked down the corridor to the stairs.

Curious, I looked all around the house. There are many rooms there and each of them seemed to be crowded with Demoids. Most of them were asleep and the few that were awake were having fun with each other. The Amores had done the same in our presence. But the Amores didn't sound as kinky as these grunting, moaning Demoids, doing it with each other like wild animals.

I quickly left these rooms and continued my search. At first I didn't know what for, until I understood. King Raha had not been there! He didn't seem to be staying in this house. But if he was not there, where was he?

In my spirit-like state, I went outside. Not out the back where the bushes are used as toilets, but out the front. I expected to find a camp there. But there was nothing and no one. It had been dead quiet. It had started snowing again, so the sky was not black but slightly orange. A light wind was blowing, which I could see on the trees but not feel myself. I felt nothing, no wind, no snowflakes, no cold.

I walked along the path we had come in the morning and arrived at the gate. It was locked. I just walked through it and jumped up in fright when suddenly, out of nowhere, a deer jumped past me. And as I jumped up like that, my body took off. I didn't land on my feet again, but flew upwards, further and further.