Chapter 12 - And then this happened...

A/N: Oh well, I forgot that I had already written this chapter and that I only had to put it online. Without words. Oh yeah, we start a little bit with the action now.

The feeling that this calm and this peace are only the calm before the storm, has solidified with me and somehow also confirmed. Everything began yesterday, when in the early morning in the news a live transmission of two government spokesmen was broadcast and for which even all current programs were interrupted.

In this live broadcast, which was obviously not in the government building, it was said that the government has decided to reinstate the nationwide lockdown. With some exceptions, as before. Otherwise, the same rules would apply to the lockdown as before. They also simply claimed that the flu epidemic was not yet over and that the lockdown was therefore necessary. They had not made any further announcements.

That it was a live broadcast from a location unknown to us could be seen from the fact that there were no reporters on site and not quite a few microphones from the various news stations and radio stations attached to the console as usual. And you could also clearly see that they used a green screen.

After this live broadcast, where not even important politicians were present, I checked the social networks on the Internet, because I had a hunch that many of the population would complain about this live broadcast. And I was right. They really bombarded the social networks with their hatred for the government. Who could blame them?

I called the office shortly after to find out if I should come at all and my boss said that every serving agent and special agent should come to the office first, because they were in the process of sorting it out, since they were also surprised with the government's decision. And the official lockdown wouldn't start until 8 pm anyway.

So I got dressed and went to the office. Together with my colleagues I waited to hear what would happen next. Our boss was still talking to the highest boss for a long time. I think we sat in the office for two hours before our boss came and called us all together.

He leaned against one of the desks and said, "Here's the situation. All the agents are relieved of duty here with us for the time being. We will assign a few to serve in the military and as support for the soldiers, just as we did last time. This time, however, it will be other agents and not those from last time. However, it is possible that those of you who had to cooperate with the military last time will also be sent there. All those whose names I won't mention now, may go home immediately." My boss then listed a few names and was about to leave.

Marx, one of the older agents asked him, "Why the new lockdown? How long are they going to keep screwing us over this supposed flu epidemic?"

My boss looked at him thoughtfully for a moment and replied, "As long as they want. What do you want me to say? I don't know any more than you guys. I also just get the orders from above without anyone explaining anything to me."

Huang, another senior agent, said, "Why do we have to help the military? You say we are working with them. But all of us who had to help last time were treated like little stupid kids and were constantly yelled at by this general. He said we were all grown-up children who liked to play spies. And to one of us, he even said he wasn't even worth as much as what he flushed down the toilet every day." Wow, thank goodness he didn't say that to me or Yibo.

"I'll sort it out." Said my boss and hurriedly disappeared into his office. Some of my colleagues were still talking animatedly and furiously about working under the general. I, on the other hand, took my things and left the office. After all, I still had a lot of shopping to do!

I was already on my way to the supermarket near my apartment in my car when I had to stop at a red light. I waited less than 30 seconds when suddenly someone ripped open my passenger door, jumped into my car and held a knife to my throat! He screamed at me to drive and that "they" must not get him.