Chapter 15 - Attack in the night

After a few hours of really restful sleep, I woke up and felt completely drowsy at the first moment, while I groped with my hand for the light switch of my bedside lamp. When I finally found it, I flipped the switch, but, nothing happened. The room remained dark.

I assumed that either the power was still gone or already gone again. But I didn't want to dwell on that thought, I really needed to pee and wanted to hurry to the bathroom. I kept groping for my phone, but then remembered that I had last used it in the living room, where it must still be lying. I hadn't paid it any further attention because I didn't have a cell phone network anyway.

Since I didn't had a light source, I knew I'd have to feel my way to the bathroom in the dark. I briefly thought about whether there might be any tripping hazards on the way in the form of shoes or the like, then remembered to have cleared everything out of the way after I had packed the backpacks and sat up carefully.

As I put my first foot on the ground, my second foot automatically slid along with it, and so did the rest of my body. You could say I literally slid off the bed. Only then did I realize how close I must have been to the edge of the bed. But why?

So after I landed with my entire body on the floor, I rubbed my aching butt before I stood up again, leaning on the bed, and slowly made my way to the bathroom, slurping my feet on the floor.

I had not yet gone two meters when I said hello to the bed frame with my little toe. Only with great difficulty could I suppress a cry of pain; after all, I didn't want to wake Yibo. With a limp and my teeth clenched tightly, I continued to the bedroom door and out, where I almost went into cardiac arrest when suddenly Yibo stood in front of me with a flashlight held under his chin, looking like a grinning horror figure.

Startled, I cringed and clung to the bedroom door handle with both hands. Completely in shock, I asked Yibo, "Are you out of your mind?" However, Yibo just laughed and pressed a flashlight into my hand. I looked at him grumbling and then rushed past him and into the bathroom. My heart was still racing!

After finally emptying my bladder, I washed my hands and noticed that the warm water was still running. So instead of just washing myself, I decided to get in the shower. In the light of the flashlight, I undressed and stood under the shower and the warm water felt great on my skin. It felt like it was the first shower I'd had in a long time, even though I shower every day.

I think I showered for about 15 minutes before I brushed my teeth, dried off and put on some clean clothes that I still had lying there and had wanted to put on in the morning.

When I came into the living room, Yibo was sitting on the sofa by candlelight, listening to the battery-powered radio. And before I could even ask what the news was, he pulled me to him on his lap, put his arms around my body and explained to me: "In the short news they said that there will be evacuations. Even where our parents live. They apparently want to get as many people out of the cities and suburbs as possible. But they haven't said where."

"Mhhh, okay." I said. I couldn't think of anything else to say. I just didn't want to think about it any further at that moment. Besides, I doubted that our parents would let themselves be evacuated anywhere. At least not my parents. Unless the threat was at his front door, my dad would never voluntarily leave home. I know that.

When I tried to get up from Yibo's lap and sit next to him, Yibo held me and wouldn't let me get up. He wanted to know, "Why don't you want to sit on my lap?" And I explained to him that it must look pretty ridiculous that I, of all people, am sitting on his lap when I'm even a few inches taller than him. And besides, I wasn't used to it.

After all, I hadn't allowed the real me for very long. Before, well there it was me sitting on the sofa. And it was my petite ex-wife who sat on my lap. That had been normal. So this with Yibo still felt somewhat abnormal to me, although beautiful, I must admit. Still, there was this old me in me telling me that this was not right and that I should not sit on his lap.