Chapter 14 - Shelter

With all the horror and the now existing confirmation that these creatures are really real and that they are in our city and have killed, I had one thing, at least for the moment, completely forgotten. I had repressed it, even if I now thought it was impossible. After all, what child forgets to worry about his parents?

Well, I don't want to sugarcoat anything and voluntarily step forward to admit that at that moment, actually since last night, I was a really bad son. I hadn't thought about my parents for a second, but only about Yibo and me. Maybe, well I tell myself at least, it was also because my parents are strong people and I was used to them worrying more about me and I never had to worry about them until now.

For over two hours, Yibo and I sat in silence in front of the TV, watching over and over again the pictures and videos of the surveillance cameras that were being shown incessantly by the news channel, while talking on the phone to "experts" and wanting them to tell us what these things were and where they came from.

We were snapped out of our silent stare as our cell phones rang. Simultaneously, as our parents called us at the same time. While Yibo's parents were calmly talking to him, my parents were scolding me for being such a naughty brat and not even caring about my old poor and helpless parents.

Mhhh, the way they scolded me, they sounded anything but helpless. But I kept that to myself and apologized instead. Yes, they were right, I had forgotten about them. Not intentionally, but I did and for that I was also very ashamed. I don't think this will happen to me again. I think otherwise my parents would put me over their knee and spank me.

After they scolded me, we talked about these creatures. Of course they had also seen the news and of course they were worried. They wanted to know from me if Yibo and I were safe where we were and if we might have seen one of these things before. Neither Yibo nor I told them about this elf-like thing and claimed that we were equally surprised, but had already heard about these creatures from Polish news, but did not believe that they really existed.

My mom, sounding a little hoarse, laughed and said to me that I should not forget that the things that seem most unlikely to us are often real. I nodded, even though she couldn't see it, and yet she knew I had nodded. Another mother's gift, I suppose. She always knows exactly what I do and when and how.

I talked with them for a moment, my dad reminded me that I should always keep the door locked and that we should stay inside and not go outside until the "good" military had resolved the situation, then we said goodbye to each other because my parents were expecting a visit from Yibo's parents. Let's face it, if the four of them are always together anyway, why don't they just move into the same apartment?

Yibo and his parents also said goodbye. Yibo's dad said, in a very stern tone, "If you have to leave town, make sure you get as far away as possible and don't try to join us. We'll be fine here." Yibo promised him, but I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't going to listen to his dad, at least in this matter.

After those phone calls, Yibo and I looked at each other. We didn't need words to make each other understand that we would definitely go to our parents' house and get them "out of there" if it became necessary. We would not leave town without our parents. If there was a way to get to them, we would surely find it!

Now that we knew our cell phones were working again, we grabbed our duty cell phones and called the agency headquarters. However, no one answered. Pah, not even the main office was manned. No working from home.

Fortunately, I still had the private cell phone number of our boss, out of anger at him I had wanted to delete it long ago, but I kept it then, for nostalgic reasons, as for the great friendship we once had. I dialed his number and after the second ring he answered, "Oh thank God Zhan, you're okay." He sounded like a concerned father or grandfather.