Chapter 35 - The Old School

An icy cold wind hit us as we opened the Heavy Bunker door and stepped out into the darkness of the night. The full moon hung bright and clear looking like a large disc high up in the sky as we set out again on this freezing night. It was time to leave and continue our journey.

After a last dinner together with Haikuan and my relatives, we took our freshly filled backpacks and said goodbye to everyone we met in the past three and a half days. I even said goodbye to the 14 year old bitch, to whom I said with a grin, "I knew you couldn't keep him away from me. Well, now I'm taking him with me again." She glared at me angrily and ran away crying after Yibo refused to hug her and kiss her goodbye. So her last attempt to win Yibo over also failed.

As soon as we stepped outside and felt this icy cold, we would have loved to turn back and hide further in the warm bunker. But we have a goal and we want to reach that goal. We want to find our parents, no matter how hard it gets. And for that we are ready to walk for days from one bunker to the next.

I could say now, at least it had not snowed in the night when we continued our journey and the full moon illuminated our way. But it was just so bitterly cold that after only a few hundred meters we were already chattering our teeth because it was very stormy and the icy cold found a way into every corner of our clothing. The black uniforms are nice and functional, but they don't keep you warm one bit. But at least we had gloves and hats. A scarf would have been nice, too.

Yibo and I walked side by side, holding our spears in one hand and a pistol in the other. Because all the time we had the feeling we were being followed. But because our shoes crunched and crackled so loudly on the snow, we didn't really hear much. It was just a feeling that we both had and it accompanied us for quite a while. But we didn't see or hear anyone.

After four hours the cold had become simply unbearable for us and we decided to look for a hiding place as soon as possible that would give us at least a little protection from the icy wind. And the first building that seemed relatively safe was an old school. It stood lonely and deserted, looking as if classes might resume the next morning.

We crept onto the grounds and kept looking around in all directions. Of course, we thought to cover our tracks, but as before, I'm not sure that was enough. Well, anyway, we walked around the school building looking for an entrance, since the doors were locked solid and so iced over that not even Yibo could open them with his tools.

However, our search for an entrance was unsuccessful. We had to destroy one of the basement windows and then entered the building through the basement. The only problem was, the basement door was also locked. It took Yibo more than 5 minutes to pick the lock, only to be immediately confronted with the next lock, which belonged to a barred door that was still in front of the basement door. Yibo cracked that one, too, and so we were able to look around the school building.

We knew beforehand that there were probably no creatures in the building itself. There were no damages there and except for the window we broke, all the others were intact. What we were looking for were the toilets to see if there was still water. There was not. And of course we were looking for a place where we could retire and rest. But it wasn't that easy, because all the doors were locked and we knew there were these huge windows everywhere.

In the end, we set up camp in the middle of the hallway. All the doors were locked around us and there were no windows in the hallway itself. We put heat pads on our feet, hands, necks, lower backs and thighs so they could help us warm up faster. After all, we couldn't build a fire.

We crawled into our sleeping bags with the heat pads against our bodies and it quickly became comfortable. So warm that it was hard for me to keep my eyes open when Yibo discussed the further route with me. But even Yibo could not stay awake for long. At some point he put his head on my shoulder, kissed my neck and fell asleep. So did I.