Chapter 45 - Quiet life

Reunited with our parents, the first hours with them and the five others who live there were very hectic. Everyone was excited and talking randomly. Most of them had general questions about the situation in the world and what we know about the survivors. One by one we tried to answer the questions whose answers we had. But about our own way, about our own experiences we came to speak only much later.

The living room, lit with kerosene lamp, shimmered in the pale light of these lamps. A fire crackled in the fireplace, providing pleasant warmth, and we all sat together. I was the only one standing in the room and read from my, this journal, how we survived, what we experienced and how we finally made it to this house and our parents. I only left out the lines where it was about Yibo and my private pleasure.

While I was reading aloud, nothing could be heard except for my voice and the crackling of the fireplace. Everyone was concentrating on what I was reading to them, and I could tell from their faces exactly what they were feeling and thinking about certain situations. But no one said or asked anything. I also showed them the pictures I drew of the creatures and they were frightened.

I gave them the loose sheets of paper with the drawings after I read everything out and they looked at them one by one in silence. Only after Jing, who owns the farm, was the last to look at the pictures, did he say, "I can't believe that such horrible creatures exist. We only saw a handful of gray hairless creatures once. But they were smaller than us, weak and we could kill them easily. Other than that, though, we had a quiet life here."

My mom nodded and said, "That's true. We had and have a quiet life here. I looked at the drawings and I also can't believe that such creatures exist. I'm not saying I don't believe you guys. But we have never seen any of these beings. And what is it about this shadow creature? Why did you let this Bac bite you? Why you too Yibo?"

Yibo's dad said, "If someone offered to make me stronger and have more abilities by biting me, I wouldn't say no either. It's only logical. Who would refuse in a time like this, where you have to be strong, where you need certain abilities to survive, refuse something like that?"

And then Yibo's mom said something that made Yibo angry and disappointed. "What I don't understand is why you came here? I'm very happy, of course, and I can't explain how lucky I am to have you both here. But what on earth drove you to come here and that after we told you several times that we are fine and safe? Why did you take such a dangerous journey? You were imprisoned by that general, taken away by that Raha, you escaped and were injured, you still continued this dangerous journey and were captured again by that Raha. Why didn't you stay in the bunker where you were safe? Why didn't you support the people there?"

"Are you serious mom? We haven't talked in over a year and haven't seen each other in almost a year and a half. We missed you guys. We were worried about you guys because we had no contact with any of you. We just wanted to come here and find you. And that's what Zhan read out earlier." Yibo replied in a changed and somewhat sharp tone.

Yibo's mom was about to reply, looking at him very critically and it was clear that Yibo would like this answer even less. But before she could say what she wanted, Yibo's dad said, "Your mom is just terrified about what you guys went through to find us. But she is also very happy that you came here. Because we also missed you very much and wished we could finally see you again and hold you in our arms. And we are glad that you arrived here in one piece. But we also think you should not have taken these dangers upon yourselves. We would never have forgiven ourselves if you had been killed on the way to us."

My dad stood up, sat down next to Yibo, and wrapped him tightly in his arms. "We are glad and grateful that you brought us our son and that you yourself are well. We know you wouldn't have started this journey with our son if you weren't sure you could make it. So, thank you Yibo and don't take it so much to heart what your worried mom said. She really loves you very much and all that she speaks of is concern for her only and unique son." And then Yibo cried. He cried with relief and gratitude for my dad's words.