Chapter 20 - Who am I?

Yibo was furious with me and, as he said, with good reason because of my solo attempt and dragged me behind him to a car that had been left standing. He pushed me into the car, which, by the way, smelled as if someone had left the diapers of a half-dead person there and vomited on it, and scolded, "What were you thinking, facing those creatures alone? Who do you think you are? Don't you realize what could have happened to you? What am I going to do without you if you get killed?"

First of all, before searching for an answer in my just rather confused brain, I looked around at Haikuan who was standing by the supermarket doing something with two shopping carts. Then I looked at Yibo and said, "Hey, it wasn't like I did that willingly. Somehow my body reacted to the threats all by itself."

Apparently Yibo didn't know what to say to that either and just replied, "This can't go on. I can't let you out of my sight for a second!"

"I'm not a little kid." I replied stubbornly.

"Then don't act like one. Tell me what would have happened to me if you had been killed? How would I be able to go on living without you?"

I scratched my nose and desperately searched my brain for a good answer, but could only bring out, "I'm sorry." and look to the side in embarrassment.

"You are impossible Zhan! First you let that elf vampire bite you and now you single-handedly fight two Dangerous Creatures in a dark narrow alley. And I suppose you don't just owe your victory to your new spear, do you?"

He had me figured out! What else was I supposed to do? Continue pretending to be the old me? No, I calmly described to him what changes my body had made and what abilities I now possessed, and he calmly listened. "I'm still me, just improved." I said at the end of my explanation.

"You're telling me here right now how much your body or abilities have changed and in the same breath you're telling me you're still the same. How can that be true? Zhan, I don't doubt that you are still my Zhan. I love you either way and it doesn't matter to me. But you shouldn't keep such things a secret from me. Especially because we are not alone and that Meng Yao will go crazy if he notices that something has changed with you. Don't forget, we depend on Haikuan because he's the only one who can steer this sailing yacht. But if Meng Yao wants it, they'll leave us behind. And Meng Yao is already watching our every move. He's just looking for a reason to get rid of us."

"You're right, I'm sorry. I should have told you right away."

"Yes, you should have. But Zhan, I'm glad you told me now."

"You Yibo?"

"Mn?"

"I wish the two of us could go on our own again."

"And how are we going to do that? It's too dangerous here on shore. Even though those creatures obviously fear you now, and the elf-vampires recognize you as one of them because you're now the blood brother of their king, they'd still keep trying to kill me."

"Elf vampires? Mhhh, sounds good. But then what does that make me? Who am I? And yes, it's true and I'm well aware that it's too dangerous on land. It was just a thought of mine. A wish to finally get rid of this Meng Yao."

"At the moment we still have to put up with him. Maybe not for much longer. From the looks of it, things aren't going so well between Haikuan and Meng Yao."

"What makes you think that?"

"Because he told me himself. He said Meng Yao's been getting on his nerves a lot lately, and that he's been close to just pushing him into the sea a few times."

"I haven't noticed that yet. I've heard the two of them talking more than once. But it sounded anything but like they were arguing."

"So Haikuan was lying to me?"