Chapter 11 - What's going on

A/N: Somehow I have the feeling that the story is not well received so far and I wonder whether I should continue writing it or not. Mhhh, I'm pretty at a loss right now and will, after this chapter, give it my thoughts and decide whether or not to continue. I feel like it's too bad the time I'm investing to write chapters for this book when hardly anyone wants to read it. And the story is just beginning.

Do you know this? For days it seems to be quiet and almost peaceful and yet you just can't get rid of this feeling that this is just the calm before the storm? That's how I felt during the last week.

Somehow everything seemed to return to normal. Which started with the fact that the TV stations no longer reported incessantly about the sinkholes and some theories. There was also no more speculation about when this colored fog would disappear and we would see a blue sky again.

Likewise, not a word was said about the creatures. As if nothing had happened and all this in the here and now was simply our new reality with which we had already come to terms after a few months.

I found it somehow really grotesque when a new sinkhole appeared near the city and the media only reported that a well-known Chinese director soon wants to shoot a new movie with a big star cast here in Beijing and the surrounding area. They speculated about the new film and what genre it would be, as the director was known for his versatility.

Um sure, that's the kind of thing I want to know, right? I mean, hello, there's a new sinkhole near the city where more than 50 people and their homes have disappeared, but they'd rather discuss a movie that hasn't even been confirmed by the director yet? Just like the allegedly top-class star cast!

The best thing this week, however, was that the government decided to end the lockdown and return everything to normal, despite the unknown danger that could still exist. All businesses are open again. People can go back to work as normal. Children in daycare, kindergarten and schools. And students can go back to the university. I was also able to go to the office every day again.

Of course I was also happy. But still I am unsure if this was really the right time to end the lockdown. Thank God I don't have to do patrol duty anymore. But knowing that there is this strange creature that Yibo and I saw makes me doubt if we are really safe. Where there is one of these creatures, there could be another or even more.

Even my boss said he was unsure if it was really a good idea to end the lockdown. He still doesn't believe me about the creature and I'm still not allowed to talk about it. But he said that there are other factors that worry him. Like that new sinkholes are still appearing all over the world and no one can predict when and where the next one will appear. In addition, he finds the colored fog very worrisome because, again, it's still unclear when that will go away and if that will even happen.

I haven't said anything about it. I barely talk to my boss. I get new orders, give my information in writing and verbally in our morning meetings and that's it. I don't trust him anymore. Why should I? He doesn't trust me either! So I behave professionally.

Of course, my boss has already noticed how distant I am from him. I was never like that. To me, he was always like a young grandpa and I liked him. I often confided in him and he always listened to me. But after he told me he didn't believe me, he took away my trust in him and I kept my distance.

A few days ago he came up to me and asked me what was wrong with me? He wanted to know why I wasn't having lunch with him like before. I said, "It's nothing sir. If it's all right, I'll go back to work." He looked at me in total shock and told me to follow him to the office. I then pointed to a stack of papers I still had to go through and said I didn't have time now. He insisted nevertheless.