Chapter 48 - More Allies &. Battles

We had left the valley, the base and the city behind us and moved further inland, while up in the sky the sun shone and around us the snow began to melt. And whenever we encountered people, they joined us, having either heard our radio message or learned from others what was happening.

Even when Bac arrived in the valley, the army was so big that it was impossible to keep track of it, but with all the people coming out of their hiding places, bunkers, cellars or wherever they had been, the army of the Unequal Warriors kept growing and with each additional ally, the hope rose in us that we could really make it.

On the evening of the first day, Bac chose a few generals to form a large group of warriors and lead them into battle. After all, there is a whole country to conquer, so it is important and right for Bac to send out his warriors in all directions.

The next morning, seven groups moved on in different directions than we did with Bac. Our army, now smaller but still huge, moved on and came to the next town where survivors were already waiting for us to join them. They took us through the town where they had already "cleaned up". There were dead gray hairless creatures lying around everywhere.

One of the men, after we asked how they managed to kill all these creatures so easily, said that these creatures were sick and it was more of a salvation for these creatures to be killed. Well, that can be quite possible, can't it? We too have seen sick creatures and the human side in us that has compassion could hardly bear the agony of these sick creatures.

When we came out of the city, a surprise awaited us. There were Demoids! Many of them! And they were not coming to join us. They wanted to fight and ran towards us with huge steps. And with them were more gray hairless creatures, not at all sick and greedy for our flesh.

Yibo and I stood back to back, armed with our spears. Bac yelled "Hooray!" and his men leapt out of the ranks and ran at the Demoids. Crashing, their weapons clanged together. "You stay close to me!" Said Bac to us and the other humans as he drew his sword and pointed it at a Demoid.

The Demoid roared out a battle cry and ran toward Bac. Their two swords clashed as they clashed against each other. Sparks flew from their blades, proving how formidable their power was as they made their sword thrusts.

For a while, the two fought with their swords against each other. A man with a shotgun stood next to Yibo and me and pointed his gun at another Demoid who was about to pounce on Bac. Like a crack of thunder, the shotgun cracked loose next to us and just a second later, the Demoid fell to the ground with a look of disbelief on his face. Blood poured from his head, staining the snow beneath him red.

The crowd of Demoids and Greys would not let up. It was as if they had been waiting there for us and our army. And soon Bac was in a fight with three attackers and Yibo and I had to fight ourselves. A few of the gray creatures came at us, Yibo stood in front of me and fought off the first attacker by simply stabbing him in the chest with his spearhead.

Then more came and we fought together. We punched, kicked, stabbed the creatures. The other humans followed along with us. They fought back with everything they had and were very skilled at it. Always about 6 of them formed a group and together they fought against one creature. The creature was confused because it didn't know who to attack first. Clever tactics.

When the fight already lasted over an hour, we humans slowly ran out of strength. Some of us barely had the strength to stay on our feet and we thought maybe we wouldn't be able to win after all. But help came in the form of Janala and her jungle warriors. They rushed into battle and with them came many flying creatures of both species. They swooped down, grabbed one of our opponents and tore him apart.

Half an hour later we stood breathing heavily amidst a mass of dead Demoids and gray creatures. The snow below us was stained red everywhere and Bac was facing Janala. At first, it seemed more like each of them was expecting the other to attack. But finally Janala bowed to Bac and said, "Greetings old friend." Bac nodded and extended his hand to her.