Chapter 50 - New Beginning (Last Chapter)

When I last wrote in this journal two years ago, we had just defeated Raha and had our last battle. Whereas I wouldn't say, at least now in retrospect, that it was really a fight. Raha died at the hands of Janala, but not fighting.

Half a year after Raha's death, the war was over. Almost all the creatures that helped us in the battle had returned to their world. Only Bac and a few of his men had stayed a few weeks longer to help clean up the city a bit. But then he left too, and that goodbye was hard for us. Because we knew we would never see him again. And nobody knew if our abilities would be enough to stay in contact with him, at least spiritually.

During a last evening together at the fire, we all celebrated the farewell and the end of the war. We ate well and drank a lot. Bac raved about the people, the food the people ate, and how beautiful he thought our world was. But he also said that he misses his world and looks forward to returning home. He wants to see his son and wife who had already returned with the others.

Bac told us that he will miss us terribly. So will we miss him. We were just not only allies, but also friends. And jokingly, Bac said that he had to go home, too, because otherwise he would be jumping on me after all. Yibo didn't laugh, but immediately pulled me closer to him. Then we all laughed.

It was a really nice evening, yet we were incredibly sad. And when we woke up in the morning, Bac had already left with his men. However, he had not left without leaving me a small farewell gift. Next to me was a picture of the three of us, that is Yibo, Bac and me and underneath wrapped in paper was a book. And it's full of pictures about the history of the Amores.

After Bac left, we returned to the valley once again to our parents and spent two weeks with them. Our parents are still determined to stay in the valley, even though, as we discovered, their homes were also still there. They felt comfortable in the country as well and their help was also needed.

My uncle and aunt moved out of the bunker and joined my parents in the country. Now they also live there and feel very comfortable. My cousin Yanli found her great love in the bunker and moved with her husband to a house near the valley. She is expecting her first child and is very excited to be a mom.

Haikuan and Cheng also live in Beijing. They have an apartment across the street from us. Haikuan works at the fire department again and Cheng works at a radio station where he hosts his own radio show. The two are very happy together and it shows. Haikuan has never talked about Meng Yao since he started dating Cheng. He always says Cheng is all he wanted and since they are a couple, he doesn't care about anything else.

He Peng works in a hospital in the maternity ward. He still has a lot of work and even found a new wife at his job. He thought he would never be able to fall in love again after his wife died, but then he met Sara and fell head over heels in love with her. The two got married six months ago and are working together on their own offspring. The abilities He Peng got from Bac have faded away in him. He is a normal person again.

By a stupid coincidence, Yibo and I found out that my ex-wife also survived. We met her in a supermarket. She was not alone, but had a man with her. The same one she had cheated on me with back then. She said that when the apocalypse began, he came to her and took her with him and brought her to safety. She said they became close again and were a couple again. I'm happy for her.

Yes, supermarkets are back. There is electricity, water and heating again. Factories are up and running again. Food is coming into our country by transport planes and ships and we are shipping or flying food from us. So there is trade with other countries again.

There is actually everything again. Military, police, and even our federal agency. Yibo and I are agents again. Not like we were back then, because it will never be the same, but we are working again. Yibo and I work as partners in patrol. Yes, we are now a kind of police force and patrol the city, just in case there should be one or the other creature. But so far, no new creatures have appeared.