Chapter 10 - An interrogation

For a week now, Yibo has been on his secret undercover mission, while I have been transferred to night patrol duty with these two idiots. Actually, Yibo and I couldn't and shouldn't have had any contact at all, but they didn't count on Yibo's cleverness and his indestructible will to make anything he wants possible.

What I mean is, Yibo calls me at least once a day. Even if it's just a few minutes, he calls me! In fact, he found an old coin phone that still works and now calls me every night before I have to leave for my patrol duty. Although he can't tell me what his undercover mission is about, just being able to hear him is just great.

Unfortunately, he doesn't know how long his mission will last, but tells me every night that he misses me a lot and will do everything he can to finish the mission as soon as possible. Ahhh, I miss him too. Very much so! And that's even though I'm on patrol every night and often sleep late during the day. I think about him a lot and wish he was here.

Yibo couldn't believe it when I told him that I have to do patrol duty now. Yesterday was the only exception, but I can't tell Yibo about that. Because that also falls under the secrecy of the agency.

It had been really strangely nice when I got a call saying I should come to the agency and do an interrogation. After the long time, I was really excited and happy. Even though I had only slept three hours, I was wide awake as soon as the call came. I guess the prospect of my real job made me really wake up with joy.

So I drove to the agency at 10 am and received a thick investigation file on prisoner D - 43 58 C 89 and had to look at it first. I would not have managed to read through everything, but I read through the most important details for me to know how to prepare for the interrogation and what tactics to use.

So I learned that D-43 58 C 89, let's just call him Jo, is suspected of helping his serious criminal brother to leave the country. According to the file, Jo's little brother has killed several people. Too bad I didn't had Jo's brother there for questioning, I would have... well let's not go into that.

Through the file I also learned a little about the background of Jo and his brother. The two grew up in very poor circumstances. The mother a prostitute, alcoholic and drug addict. The father an unemployed drunk who regularly beat up his wife and children. Jo found one day at the tender age of 8 years his dead mother in the bathroom, a syringe still hanging on her arm.

At the age of 12, Jo killed his father in the heat of the moment when he caught him abusing Jo's little brother (then 7 years old). Jo wanted to help his brother and threatened his father with a cutter knife. Thereupon the drunken father went berserk and lunged at Jo. Jo had no other choice but to fight back with the cutter knife and in doing so, he cut his father's throat, more or less accidentally. The father bled to death. Good that he at least suffered a little, the disgusting bastard!

Jo and his little brother (let's call him Jim) were sent to a children's home, which did not take good care of the children. Again and again Jo got into fights to protect his little brother from the other kids. However, when Jo turned 16, he was sent to an assisted living home for teenagers and his brother, then 11 years old, had to be left behind.

While Jo slowly learned that there is more to life than fear, hate and violence, his little brother Jim experienced hell in the orphanage until a new boy came and took little Jim under his wing. He taught him how to defend himself. But it didn't stop there. Suddenly Jim was no longer the bullied, but the bully. He often maltreated the other children with punches and kicks and was not afraid to choke one or the other.

When Jo turned 18, he got an apartment from the social welfare office, he found a job and was allowed to bring his little brother to live with him. However, he had changed a lot in the last two years and had no desire at all to see his big brother. Again and again he ran away from home and again and again he was brought home by the police.