Chapter 3

𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓮

My back straightened as the strings of the corset were pulled. I felt like I couldn't breathe but also like someone hugged me tightly around my waist. I expected to be uncomfortable, yet I liked the feeling. The gown of the dress had roses embroidered in it and a long train and the sleeves were off my shoulders.

"You look so beautiful!" Carmen squealed.

I know that when a woman's getting married, she should be excited. But I couldn't find it in me to be happy. Why should I be? When I wanted anything but this. Besides, Carmen is more than excited, and I don't think there's a need for me to be too. She's been in a happy mood ever since she found out I'm getting married.

"The dress suits you. It looks so beautiful on you. Do you like it?" the lady attending to my dress asked.

"Yes, can't you tell?" I looked behind me so she could see my face which, was a void of emotion. This caught her by surprise. She paused what she was doing and only stared at me.

"Marianne," my mother warned. "Smettila. Non farlo qui." (Stop that. Don't do it here)

Then when should I do this? Only when I'm in the safety of our home? I heaved a heavy sigh.

"My apologies, I'm just not feeling well." I gave the lady a reassuring smile. "I love the dress." she didn't seem to believe me. Oh well. I turned my attention back to the mirror, staring at my reflection. The dress truly is beautiful.

We got the dress. After that, we went shopping for jewelry and lingerie. And now I'm back in my room. Tonight, both of our families were having a party. I'm not sure I should even call it that. Tonight the room will probably be divided into two, the Russo's on one side and the Alessi's on the next.

Dante's words replayed in my head. Be a good girl. I didn't miss the threat behind his words. Dante's more than capable of causing the ones I love pain, and I would be stupid not to play by his rules. As much as I hate this deal, I would never put my family's life in any danger. They may get on my nerves, but I love them, and I would do anything to protect them.

It's been a week since I last saw him, and I had time to myself, time to collect my thoughts. My anger was long gone, and now I'm not sure what I'm feeling. I feel empty. I'm no longer upset at my father or my mother. Marrying is the right thing to do because a war would be far worse. And if I had a choice in the matter and refused, that would have been selfish.

La famiglia prima di tutto. Family above all else.

Something my father would always tell me. Our family will always be his first priority. It's like our family motto, you could say. No matter how much we argue or disagree on stuff, we are always there for one another.

Will that also apply to Dante when we marry? Will he even consider me as family? I should stop thinking about this and get some sleep.

——

   After a well-needed nap, I stood in the kitchen with a glass of champagne in my hand. Liquor courage, if I'm to spend the majority of the night with my family and Dante's in one room, I'll need it. Call it a hunch, but tonight will end up with someone either dead, injured, or blackout drunk. And I want to forget it if someone does die.

"Topolina," my mother, along with my siblings, walked into the kitchen. "you're already drinking?" I rolled my eyes at the nickname my mamma has for me. She took a seat next to me, pouring herself a glass. "I'll join you." she continued to talk about how she'll need it if she's to survive tonight. (Little mouse)

I turned to my brothers. "Wanna bet someone's gonna die tonight?" a smirk played on my lips. "Or at least injured."

Antonio chuckled. "That's definitely going to happen."

"How about we bet how many people are going to get injured." Sofia chimed in. We all looked at her with surprised expressions. Usually, when we play these games, she tends not to partake. "What? Am I not allowed to have a little fun, too?" she rolled her eyes.

"Okay," I smiled at her. "Ten people."

"Fifteen." said the twins. And Antonio went with twenty and Sofia eight.

"Mamma?" she was on her second glass of champagne.

"Nope, I'm not betting. The last time I had to give you ten thousand dollars."

I shrugged, I love to gamble, sue me.

"Okay, so whoever is closest to the right number wins, and losers have to give the winner five thousand dollars."

Everyone agreed. Let the games begin.

An hour or so had passed, and we were now at my cousin Daniele's bar. On our way here, my siblings and I sang every song that played on the radio. The two glasses of champagne are doing their job.

My nerves were gone, and I was in a happy mood, I guess. Only my family are here. Not to my surprise, they started partying without us being here. Some of my guy cousins sat at a table playing poker. My uncles sat at the bar drinking. Of course, my father headed to them and my mother to my aunts, sure enough, to gossip. Everyone began to go their separate ways. I, on the other hand, went straight to the bar.

"Hey Danny, can I get a shot of tequila."

"Woah, you don't usually drink tequila. Nervous?" he asked while pouring me my shot. Nervous isn't the word I would use to express how I'm feeling.

"Sure, something like that," I grabbed the shot glass and threw it back. The alcohol burned as it went down my throat. "Another."

"Keep drinking, and you'll end up drunk." I turned to see Violet and my cousin, Isabella, walking my way.

"I think that's the point," Violet said. "I'm sure she would rather forget this night. I'll have a shot too." she sent a wink Danny's way.

"Not surprised. Marianne isn't like Carmen, who would be jumping in excitement." They both took the seats next to me, Violet on my right and Isabella on my left. "Keep the shots coming, Danny boy!" Isabella shouted.

If only she could have seen Carmen the entire week. Like I said before, she's more than excited for both of us. The noise in the room faltered, and I knew that could only mean one thing. He had arrived. Turning in my seat, I met his eyes.

Those beautiful deep blue eyes pull me in every time I see them. Everything about this man is attractive, it makes it hard to hate him. Dante wore all black and as a girl who loved the color, it looked good on him. A dress shirt that hugged his body, the sleeves folded to his elbows, and a few buttons left undone. His black hair looked like he had been running his fingers through them.

Maybe I had too much to drink, but I started towards him. His eyes traveled my body. From my feet back to my eyes. I like the way he's looking at me but hate how it makes me feel. He wasn't even hiding the fact that he was checking me out.

No, he took his time. Taking in every dip and curve. I should feel disgusted, but it sent a sweet sensation to my core. I'll just blame the way I'm acting now on the two shots I just took because if I were sober, I would go in the complete opposite direction. I would have spent the entire night avoiding this man.

"Hi."

——