Chapter 6

𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓮

   Today I'm spending the day with my mother, Carmen, and Violet. Sure some of my mother's friends will be there, but I'll try my best to avoid them. Once the topic of Dante starts, I know where it will go.

Sex.

They'll start talking about the women he's been with and other rumors. I've gone this far now without hearing anything since the engagement, and I would like to keep it that way.

I looked myself over in the mirror one last time. I wore a simple black bathing suit with a mesh dress over it. Nothing special.

God, please just let me have a peaceful day. Twenty-four hours of relaxation, please.

Once I reached downstairs, my mother and Carmen were waiting for me. Sofia, of course, wasn't coming. She'll be in her room studying. I hate to see her put in all that hard work, and the outcome will still be the same.

Yes, she'll have the degrees, but they'll just be there. What made man is going to allow his wife to attend work? None. Too much of a risk. When their enemies find out they have a wife, the first thing they'll do is a background search, and if they find out where you work. Well, that is the first place they will be waiting for you.

"I'm ready when you guys are,"

I announced, placing my bag on the kitchen island. I still have yet to talk to my father. The main reason is what could I possibly say to him? Hey, I forgive you for selling me off like I'm a piece of land.

Before the whole engagement, we were never that close but we still talked and bonded on most things. Now that I think back on it. We haven't had one on one time since I turned eighteen.

At the age when I finally realized my role in this family and what I was to do. It's mostly my fault, though. I cut him off. A part of me was upset that he was going to marry me off eventually. I wanted to believe that he wouldn't.

Stupid, I know. I'm not mad anymore because fighting in this won't change it. I've come to terms with it. I'm getting married, and I won't fall for my husband.

——

   Now I understand why Violet is my only friend. She isn't boring, and she doesn't spend her entire life gossiping about other women. The moment we got on this yacht, they started gossiping.

I'm not one to gossip, but, wow, this is a lot. I've heard about how this person is fucking this person and how this person cheated on another. They even started talking about appearances. It's crazy.

I took a sip of my mimosa as I soaked up the sun.

"Since my husband hasn't been paying much attention to me, I had to find someone to satisfy me." I may have gagged a little.

"Well, Mia, let's hope your husband doesn't find out." the lady next to her said.

"He won't. I'm being careful. It's been a month now, and he hasn't suspected a thing."

I snorted, which I shouldn't have because now everyone was looking at me. Way to go, Marie, you were doing so well.

"Is something funny?" Mia asked.

Yeah, you.

My mother narrowed her eyes at me, indicating I shouldn't start anything. I can't help myself.

"No, not at all. I mean, the fact that you think your husband doesn't know is well... yeah, it is funny." I took another sip of my drink.

I don't know much about Mia. I think she is around my mother's age, maybe a little younger than her but older than me. So I would say her early thirties.

"Is that so?" she was now glaring at me.

"Yeah, there are two possible outcomes. One, he knows and doesn't give a fuck because he's fucking other women, or Two, he knows, and he's planning how to kill the man you've been fucking behind his back." My choice of words shocked everyone.

Carmen and Violet were seated next to me. Carmen just drank her drink, and Violet tried her best not to burst into a fit of laughter.

"Marianne," my mother sighed.

"Did I lie? The men in the Cosa Nostra always find out in the end. Most of you are just stupid enough to think you could outsmart a man like that, and it's not like you lot are being discreet. If you're going to do something like cheating, at least do it right."

Mia's face was now red. She looks like a tomato. I may have hit a nerve. Now I'm not going to tell anyone how to live their life, I just don't like cheating even if the person you're with is a made man. But for you to sit here and talk all high and mighty when you are putting a man's life in danger makes me mad.

Maybe try to stop some of the bloodshed, not add more to it.

"Well, Ms. Marie, you seem to know a lot. You sure have a mouth on you, huh, Sienna?" she turned to my mother, who was now reading her book and drinking her drink.

"Yeah, runs in the family." My mother commented.

"I don't think you should be worrying about me and what I do in my life but about that little fiancee of yours."

And there it is, ladies and gentlemen. I guess I did walk myself into this one.

"Is that so?" I used her words from earlier.

She hummed. "He'll be quite the handful for you to handle," she smirked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I should ignore her, but I'm intrigued.

"Well, everyone knows how the Dante Russo is. He's a womanizer. A lot of women have had their fair share. And you know us women love to gossip. He has never, not once had sex without a shirt. No woman has ever seen him naked."

"Could you get to the point?" I was honestly getting bored of this conversation.

Her smirk stayed in place as she took a sip of her drink.

"My point is, do you think even when you two get married, he'll treat you differently or just like all his other flings?"

She was trying to get a reaction from me. If I respond whatever I say will sound stupid and if I don't she'll think she won.

"You don't worry your pretty little head, Mia. I'll handle him quite fine and I'll be enough for him so he doesn't go looking elsewhere. And when we do eventually do the deed, maybe I'll tell you all about his chiseled chest."

I grabbed my drink and left the deck. I've had enough sun and enough of these women. I should've just stayed home.

——