Epilogue

One year later

   I take a deep breath, the steam from my cup keeping my face along with my hands warm. I'm sat on a swinging chair on our new porch. Dante got it build along with our new pool.

A gust of wind sends my hair flying, my ponytail coming loose. I should have brought a blanket; Dante will lose his shit if he seems me sitting out here in the cold.

Like he heard my thoughts, Dante steps outside, closing the door behind him. His hair is disheveled, and he still isn't wearing a shirt, his grey sweats hanging low on his waist.

He looks good enough to eat and I so desperately want to take him right where he stands. Sadly, I can't.

"What are you doing out here?"

I shrug. "I couldn't sleep,"

He releases a sigh before stepping back inside, a few seconds later he returns with a thick blanket. I make room for him, so he can sit behind me, the blanket's big enough to cover the both of us.

Dante's warmth plus the blanket is pure bliss. I rest my head against his chest as I slowly sip my tea.

"How's my girl doing?" he asks while rubbing my stomach.

Surprise, I'm pregnant. I'm due any day now and our little baby has been giving me a run for my money. We're not sure the gender, I wanted it to be a surprise, but Dante is positive that it's a girl.

"She's okay, won't stop kicking me though,"

Still rubbing my stomach, he shifts to the side, then plants a kiss where his hands once was. "Hey princess, I know you're excited to see us but you're hurting mommy. So, a little less kicking,"

I feel her move, softly kicking against Dante's hand. A big smile starts to form on his face, and it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. My mind goes back to when he proposed. To think that Dante felt like he didn't deserve to be loved, because if anyone truly got to know him, they would never accept all of him.

He deserves it. Dante deserves to be loved and taken care of. I'll live the rest of my life giving him that love and a family that loves him. A man willing to go through that much pain deserves to be protected, cherished and showered with love.

"Come on let's get you inside," he slides from behind me.

I sigh not wanting to move. I'm feeling extremely lazy. Still I listen to him and take his hand. The mug in my hand drops, spilling tea all over the porch along with another substance.

What the hell?

"Dio mio, don't freak out but I think my water just broke." I feel Dante go rigid.

He takes a few seconds to process my words then helps me inside. I take deep breaths as he gently sets me on the couch.

I watch silently as Dante prepares everything I may need at the hospital. I already had a bag packed but he's double checking and adding a few snacks. He takes the bag to the car then returns for me.

"Okay," he reaches for me and I see that his hands are shaking. I've never seen this man nervous before.

Dante helps me to the car rubbing my back as he does it and helping me breathe. I'm in the back of the car holding onto his hand as he drives.

It's like two in the morning so they aren't that many drivers on the road so we make it to the hospital pretty quickly.

Since Dante drove like a madman, still I felt pretty safe through it all. I expected to be screaming in pain right now but I'm actually really calm, should I be worried?

I spoke to soon. Ten minutes later and I'm screaming the hospital down. Dante's hands remains in mine, only this time I'm gripping him so hard his hand is extremely red.

Can I really do this? I mean I can but oh my fucking god I'm about to push a baby out of my fucking vagina.

"Keep pushing almost there" the nurse coos. "I can see the head one big push, you can do it. Almost there, you can do-"

"Lady please, silenzio!"

I'll apologize to her once this baby is out of me but right night I need her to stop with the excessive talking. After three pushes, I successfully give birth.

"Congratulations you have a beautiful baby girl." Her little cries fill the room.

Huh, seems Dante was right. I watch as they clean her up then hand her to me. She really is beautiful. Wow she came out of me. Now I'm crying. I'm a mom.

I hand her to Dante, I watch as he holds her, rocking her in his hands. La mia famiglia. I pass out after that, too exhausted to keep my eyes open any longer.

——

The first thing I'm looking for when I open my eyes, is my husband and my daughter. I've been out for an hour only.

I'm still a little tired but better than I was before. Dante realizes I'm awake then hands her to me.

"Are you going to tell me what name you've decided on?" Dante asks as he sits in the bed next to me. He didn't mind me choosing the name without him. Whatever you decide on I'll be happy with, he said.

"Briar," like rose. Dante explained he got his rose tattoo for his mother, who was named Rosalie.

"I love it." He places a soft kiss on my lips then on Briar's little head. "I love her," his eyes are teary.

Briar you are going to have the best dad in the entire world. He's only just met you but he loves you so much and the same for me. We'll both protect you and give you the love you deserve.

You'll grow up to be so happy, my little rose.