Chapter 26

𝓜𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓮

The excessive pounding in my head wakes me. I groan as I move my head slightly, blinking slowly to be only met with darkness. My eyes are covered, and my hands are bound.

Seems I'm tied to a chair, I shift slightly. Cold metal kisses my skin. I'm still in my wedding dress, my bare feet along with the dress tule, are tied to the legs of the chair.

I take in a deep breath. The air smells of mold and in the distance, I can hear water dripping.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Then a shuffle to the right of me. Someone's there, watching me. Slowly, their steps get closer, a little louder.

It's easier to breathe now, the corset of the dress no longer restricting air into my lungs. I'm not sure if to be thankful that they did that or disgusted.

A slight touch on my shoulder catches my attention and I recoil from their touch.

They grab my face, squeezing it in their big hand. Pulling my face up towards theirs. I can feel their breath on my face. I can hear every breath being taken in and being released.

Then they do the most outrageous thing. They kiss me. I trash as best as I can in my seat, trying to get away from them. As though their kiss was burning my lips.

I bit down as hard as I could until I tasted blood, until they pulled away. Then I spat in their face.

"Fottuto pervertito," I huff. I can still taste them on my tongue, and I want nothing more to get rid of the taste. It's fucking vile. Fucking pervert

"I'm sorry, were you saving that kiss for someone else?"

I still.

I know that voice. I've heard that voice multiple times. That voice has been kind to me, helped me when I needed it.

"I guess the jig is up," he chuckles. I feel his touch on my shoulders, as they slowly rise to the back of my head. The material that was once blocking my sight has disappeared and I'm left blinking away the darkness.

"Hello, beautiful." he says, my chin gripped between his thumb and index finger.

Chet stares back at me, with a soft smile on his face. Still wearing the outfit from earlier. I keep my breathing calm as I take in my surroundings.

Nothing. I'm surrounded by darkness, the only light shining above us.

"You have no idea how long I've waited for this moment. For you to finally be mine."

"Excuse me?"

"We belong together,"

He says it like it's the most obvious thing in the entire world. As though we're soulmates or some shit.

"The moment I laid eyes on you, I just knew," he releases his grip on me. "Knew, that you were perfect for me." I'm too stunned to speak, so I let him rant on.

"Sure, when we first met, you were nice to everyone, but the way you smiled at me was different. At that moment I knew." I watch as he sighs dreamily.

"I tried my best to court you the right way, but you would always turn me down, and I never understood why, because of course you felt the same way I do. And if you aren't on the level I am, you'll grow to love me."

"Then I found out more about you and your family and it all made sense. You were trying to protect me." he cups my face, rubbing his thumb against my cheek. "Such a sweet girl,"

I pull away from his grip. "I feel nothing towards you Chet. Yes, I said no to protect you, not because I have feelings for you. I didn't want innocent blood spilled, and I'm the reason why."

Chet takes a few steps back, like he's been physically hit. He says nothing at first, the wheels turning in his head. I can see I've upset him, but he quickly hides his anger.

"So, do you feel something for him?"

Dante. I wonder if he realizes I'm gone. How long has it been since Chet took me. Does Dante think I ran away?

"You do," he huffs, his anger back. "He doesn't deserve you, Marie. He won't be able to love you like I do, like I'll continue to. You know he threatened me? Said he'd kill me if I didn't stay away from you."

He chuckles. Then it turns to hysterical laughter. "As though that would have kept me away forever."

My mind tracks back to that day. And the words that followed. I don't share what is mine. I really was his from the beginning.

Chet pulls me out of my head, his big hand gripping my face hard enough to leave a bruise. His face is red, his brows furrowed.

"Stop fucking thinking about him," his grip tightens with every word. "I'm here, willing to give you everything you deserve. He'll only hurt you, he has hurt you. I've seen it, Marie. I would never hurt you. Stay with me and I'll treat you right. I'll love you right. I love you."

I hiss. How am I going to get myself out of this situation. Should I play along with his bizarre fantasies?

"You don't love me, Chet. You know nothing about me."

"Yes. I do. You're the sweetest person I've ever met. You greet everyone with a smile. You care for others. You never speak too loudly, never speak unless spoken to. I've never even heard you use a bad word."

I shake my head. "That's where you're wrong. I'm not sweet. It's all a show, I was simply giving you and everyone the 'perfect girl', but that's not me. So, the person you think you love, isn't me. But you know who does know me? Him. He knows me so well it scares me. He knows every inch of my body."

I shouldn't provoke him. I know. But I rather do this than to play as though I truly love him.

"And I love him."

——