Chapter 20

Josie's P.O.V.
    I made it to Hope's room and open the door quietly. I walked in and quietly closed the door behind me. I look over at Hope and see her sleeping. She looked peaceful but I knew she wasn't getting enough sleep. There was no way she was sleeping well, with all the drama she's been through recently. I hate that she couldn't have been normal and had a normal life. She deserves so much in this world and I hope she gets it. I sit in the chair, she sits at to paint, and waited for her to wake up. Every so often, I glanced over at her and either saw her perfectly still, sleeping fine for a moment, or tossing and turning, probably from the stress and worry of everything.

    After what felt like an hour, I look at her again and she's tossing and turning this time. I assume it's going to just go back to her laying still, until I hear her screaming. She must be having a nightmare. I quickly get up and move closer to her bed and to her. I start to gently shake her to try and wake her from her nightmare. "Hope, wake up." I could see sweat forming on her forehead and her claws forming from her hands and veins showing under her eyes. This nightmare must be effecting her vampire and wolf side. Eventually it started to effect her powers because the lights started to flicker in the room. I could hear her heart racing. She must be having an awful dream. I kept calling her name and shaking her gently until her eyes suddenly shot open and she's gasping for air but at the same time screaming my name. "I'm here Hope, I'm here." I said and pulled her into a hug to try and soothe her. Eventually she calmed down and pulled away to look at me. "Jo, is that really you?" She asked and I smiled at her. "It's me. You had a nightmare, are you alright?" "Y-you didn't wake up.. You never woke up." She said with tears in her eyes. She had a nightmare about me dying? I pull her back into my arms for another hug. "I'm here Hope. I'm not going anywhere."

    After a moment, I pulled away and wiped the tears from her eyes. "Wait, you're awake? And Lizzie didn't wake me? I'm going to kick her ass!" Hope said and got up to go after Lizzie but I sped in front of her. Woah, that was a rush but I know I'll get used to it. At least it wasn't like when Hope carried me before. "Don't. I told her not to wake you. I wanted you to get your rest." Hope looked at me and I could hear her sigh under her breath. "Did you finish the transition?" She asked and I chuckled softly. "Yes Hope, I did." "And daylight ring? Do you have one yet or do I need to make you one?" She asked. She wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anyone again. "You aunts' actually made me one. I guess it was their way of thanking me for saving you." I held my hand up and showed her the ring. She looked at it and then looked at me. "My family crest?" She asked. I hope she felt I was worthy for it like her family did. If she didn't, I would get them to make me a new ring because I never wanted to disrespect Hope in any way. "Y-your family thought I was worthy enough for it. I know only your family and a select few are special enough to have them but if it's disrespecting or something, I can get a ne-" "No. You are worthy for it. You always have been." She said, cutting my sentence off. "Really?" I asked to be sure she wasn't just saying that. "Of course. Besides it suits you." She said and smiled at me and held my hand to look at my ring.

    "Jo, I'm so sorry." She said and I noticed her smile faded. "Hope, you have nothing to apologize for." I responded, knowing she would have brought this up eventually. "I do. It's my fault you're like this." "It is not and I really wish you would stop blaming yourself." I said as she continued looking down at my ring. "Jo, it's my fault because if I had killed Malivore before, or never been in your life, this would've never happened." "Hope! Never say that. I never want you out of my life." She looked up at me. "This happened because I saved you and I would do it over and over again, no matter what the consequence is." I will never be the same if I ever lost her.

Hope's P.O.V.
    She is actually saying she would die for me? I never wanted that nor will I ever let it happen again. "Can't you just be happy I'm still here and not blame yourself for once?" She asked. I knew she didn't want me blaming myself but I couldn't help it. "Jo I am happy that you're still here but that doesn't change the fact that it's my fault. Or that I'm mad at you." I said and pulled away. She looked at me, like she couldn't believe I just said that. "W-why are you mad at me?" She asked and I looked at her. She seriously didn't know why I was mad at her? "Jo you jumped in front of me and took the stake. Now you're a heretic!" I said, feeling my anger take over, but I tried to fight it because I never wanted to be that upset with Josie. "I had to. I wasn't going to lose you." "You should've stayed away and let me handle it." "Handle it! Hope that wasn't handling it! You were going to die! I knew couldn't lose you, so I took the hit for you!" "Why?" Was all I could say. "Why? Why?! Because what I said back there, was not in the heat of the moment, or because I was dying! I do love you Hope and I think I always have." That made me shut up. She meant it? She actually loves me more than a friend? "If anyone should be mad right now, it's me!" She said and I was a bit shocked she said that. "You're mad at me?" I asked. "Of course I am! You traded your life for mine! Why the hell would you do that?!" Why did I do it? "Tell me Hope! Give me a reason why the hell you traded your life for mine!" She kept yelling at me and I couldn't control myself any longer. "Because I love you, damn it!" I blurted out and then covered my mouth quickly. I actually just said that. I moved my hand from my mouth and looked down. "I'm sorry for yelling Jo, but I just.. I couldn't lose you. Not just because I'm not good with losing people but because I lov-" I was cut off when I felt Josie's lips against mine. Was this actually happening? Is she kissing me for real this time and not just to siphon me? I eventually gave in and kissed her back. I feel her cup my cheeks and pull me in closer. This was actually happening. I couldn't believe it. Eventually she pulled away and leaned her forehead against mine. "I have been wanting to do that for so long." She whispered. "Yeah, me too." I whispered back and smiled.