Part 23 - Xiao

Y/N and I came across a group of five Geoishap Hatchlings during our search for Hillichurl camps. I led as many as I could away from Y/N, their safety is my priority. Two Hatchlings followed me while the other three continued to attack Y/N. 

As I scan my surroundings to find an advantage when I see a small child run towards me. One of the Hatchlings roll towards the kid and I ran to their rescue. If that child gets hurt it's all my fault. I grab them and use an Anemo attack to get away right as the Geoishap swiped its claws. My right side begins to throb in pain... Sh*t

I lean on my spear, trying to regain my balance but the other Hatchling rolled towards us. I let out two bursts of Anemo and reposition myself between the kid and the last Hatchling. One left, I told myself.

Several electric arrows flew towards the Hatchling, distracting it. The Geoishap hid underground and Y/N rushed over to me.

"Get the kid out of danger," I demanded, I can't let either of them get hurt because of me.

"And leave you here? No way," Y/N was being stubborn as always.

They unleashed a shock wave behind us, hitting a Hatchling as it emerged. How did they know it would appear there? I wondered, Y/N was still a mystery to me and I felt myself become additionally curious by the second. "Curiosity killed the cat." 

The Hatchling spiralled around then started rolling towards me, I released an Anemo attack to kill the Hatchling...

***

"Are you awake yet?" A voice spoke.

I look at the ceiling and sit up, I was back in Wungshu Inn. Y/N tied a bandage over their hand before pouring me a glass of water. 

"Are you hurt?" I tried to stand up but Y/N pushed me back.

"Ask yourself that," Y/N's voice was harsh; different. "F*cking idiot."

I look down to find my side bandaged then I remembered, The child. Y/N walked over to the window and sighed.

"I thought I told you specifically not to get hurt." They sounded like they were just about done dealing with my injuries.

"I'm sorry," I look down at my injury, I've never had this many serious injuries before. Or is it that I've never cared for them..? "Y/N... Are you mad..?" 

"I was," They refused to look at me. "But now... I'm merely relieved but, also a little curious."

"Curious?" I asked, "Wait is the kid okay?"

Y/N walked towards me and sat down next to the bed, I guess they'll be taking care of me... Again.

"The kid's name was Xing and they're back with their family," Y/N looked me in the eyes and looked away immediately. "Did you... Get hurt purposely?" Y/N asked.

"Why would I?" Confusion flooded my thoughts.

"So that I would spend more time with you?" Y/N accused.

"It wasn't on purpose," I mutter. 

Did Y/N really think I would injure myself just so they'd have to take care of me again? I wondered, Do they plan to spend more time with me? "I will never be free from my duties..." My thoughts spiral around my head. Am I just a burden? 

"I'll be back," Y/N stood up and walked towards the door. But were they really coming back?

Darkness crept towards me as the door shut. I felt my heart race and I crawled under the covers of the bed. Stay away! I was overcome with panic, I didn't want to feel bound by karma ever again. I covered my eyes with my hands, Not again! I tried to calm myself down but when I opened my eyes the darkness continued to spread, Y/N! Please help me. Water uncontrollably flooded out from my eyes and dripped down my cheeks.

"Xiao?" Y/N entered the room, their voice full of panic. "What's wrong?"

Y/N slowly lifted the sheets off me and sat on the bed next to me.

"I..." I tried to speak, I could only manage a few sounds.

Y/N looked at me with concern and worry, they wiped my tears and repeated, "It's okay." Their voice was calming but the darkness only avoided Y/N, not me. I crawled into Y/N's arms and hid in their warmth; in their light. What will I do when I'm without them? The thought of Y/N leaving only made me cry more, Y/N can't stay with me forever.

"Xiao," Y/N started. "I will always protect you. No matter what."

"I... I'm scared," I manage. "It's dark..." 

I didn't expect Y/N to understand and yet, "You're vulnerable to karma simply because you've been with me." They started to stroke my hair, "I didn't realise how bad it had become, I'm sorry."

I pulled Y/N closer and lifted my head. "Please don't leave," I begged.

"I want to stay," Y/N's voice cracked. "But I can't."

Y/N pulled my hands off them and stood up.

"Wait!" I grabbed their hand.

"I'm not going anywhere," Y/N smiled. "I just need to do something, alright?"

I nod and Y/N unwraps the bandage on their (non-dominant) hand. They summon a Kunai in their other hand, What's going on?  I wonder, the thought of Y/N hurting me had become a distant nightmare. Y/N cut the tips of their middle and pointer finger in one slash.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

Y/N leaned over and touched my forehead with their bleeding fingers, "Bâohù (保护, Protect in Chinese)."

They dismissed their weapon and covered their hand in a bandage once more.

"That will protect you," Y/N walked to the door. "I'm just going to get you some food. I won't be long."

When the door shut, the darkness sank in but this time, it stayed away from me. How did Y/N do that? I wondered, And why did they cut their fingers?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: All feedback and suggestions are welcome! If I do use your idea I will credit you. Thanks for the support!

Take care!