Part 24 - Y/N

"That will protect you," You walked to the door. "I'm just going to get you some food. I won't be long."

You closed the door behind you and wait for a moment. He seems to be okay this time, You reassure yourself and walk over to the front desk.

"Is something wrong?" Verr asked, you'd left her right in the middle of an order.

"Oh yeah," You sigh. "Xiao just needed something."

You walk over to the kitchen, still sick with worry. What if Xiao starts to blame me? You overthink, What if he starts to hate me for not letting him serve me? I can't lose him...

"Here's Xiao's tofu," The chef interrupted your thinking and handed you a box.

***

"You alright?" You ask as you open the door.

Xiao looks up at you as soon as you enter the room. 

"Y/N!" He beams as you walk towards him.

"Uhm..." Xiao's sudden energy burst caught you off guard, "Do you need something?"

You hand Xiao the tofu after he shakes his head. What's gotten into him? You wonder, He's been different around me but never... Like this. 

"Y/N?" Xiao called, "Can you lay next to me."

You turn bright red, "What?" What is going on..? "Xiao are you okay?"

He looks away, "Is that a no?" He sulks.

Xiao's never been like this, "What's going on?" You mumble, "I... I don't understand."

Xiao sat up and swung his legs over the bed to face you. He looked up at you and signalled for you to come to his height. You walk closer to Xiao and lean down a little, looking him dead in the eyes, he smiles and grabs your waist; pulling you onto the bed.

"Xiao!" You sat up, "What are you doing?"

"I want you." He pulls you into a kiss, the touch of Xiao's lips was alluring. "Please stay," He broke the kiss and laid his head on your lap.

You sigh and begin to stroke his hair, "You shouldn't strain yourself like that... Idiot."

"Right," Xiao mumbled.

***

"Are you awake?" You ask Xiao quietly, he was still on your lap. You carefully pick him up and lay him down on the bed. "Good night," You say softly before kissing his forehead.

You look up at the clock that hung on the wall opposite the window. 9:47 pm, You read. If I get back by 4 then I should be here before Xiao wakes up. That gives me... You think for a moment, Around 6 hours. You look over at Xiao sleeping peacefully, I just hope... That he doesn't have a nightmare while I'm gone. 

You summon your wings and fly out of the window, I have to deal with the karma but... I want to be with Xiao. You argued with yourself while tracking traces of karma and death. Upon reaching a small ravine north of Wungshu Inn, you locate a large amount of karma lurking around a group of Hilichurls; they'd attacked an adventurer.

You land in a tree nearby and dismiss your wings while summoning your sword. You jump out of the tree and release a large blue flame towards the Hilichurls. Your flame engulfs the Hilichurls as well as the adventurer, his screams were muffled by the flames. 

When the flame subsided the adventurer sat with his eyes shut tight and hands over his ears; the Hilichurls were gone along with the karma. You tap the guy's shoulder and crouch down in front of him. He opened his eyes and fell back with fright.

"Who are you?" He demanded as his voice trembled. "How am I not dead?"

"You're okay." You stood up and assessed the area, "I only burnt the Hilichurls." You point at the unburnt grass he was sitting on.

"How is that..." He hesitates, "Thank you but..."

"Can you get back to safety on your own?" You interrupt, I only have a few hours and there's a lot to do, I don't want to leave Xiao for long. He nods, "Right then, I have to go."

"Wait!" He yelled as you walked away.

This place... It reeks of death. You follow the smell and walk towards a small break in the rocks.

"I said wait!" The adventurer grabs your wrist and pulls you back, "That's an Oceanid's lair. Specifically the Rhodeia of Loch, It's killed thousands of humans." 

"I'll be fine," You remove his hand from your wrist. "Go home or something." I'm gonna have a little talk with Rhodeia.

You walk towards the entry point and create an icy bridge to reach the platform in the centre of the lair.

"An assassin from our homeland?" A being of water appeared, "Or a fool who trespasses upon the water of Qingce?"

"Neither," You were almost yelling since Rhodeia was so far away. "I'm your queen/king. I'd like to have a word with you," You instruct.

"Her/His Majesty? A word with me?" Rhodeia inched closer to you, "And why do you think I would believe that? Foolish human!"

The Oceanid summoned 3 Hydro cranes, "You should not take Her/His Majesty's title so easily. They are the most powerful being to exist!"

You summon your crown and wings, "Believe me now?" You scoff as the Oceanid gasps, "Have you been killing every human who just wander in here? It reeks of death."

Rhodeia floats towards you and dismisses the cranes. They bowed their head, "I apologise... I couldn't recognise you."

"Answer my question," You speak harshly. You didn't recognise me? More like you didn't believe me.

"I have," Rhodeia shrieked when they saw the anger in your eyes. "It was merely self-defence!" They protested.

"What about those who walked in by mistake?" You demand, "Did you even let them speak before killing them? Or did you just ignore their words and kill them?"

The Oceanid lowered their head further, "I sincerely apologise. It won't happen again."

"If it does..." You hesitate, "I will punish you." You turn on your heel and walk towards the exit. 

"You're so soft," Rhodeia mocked. "I'm sure any god would've killed me just for calling them human. You're nothing like you should be."

You summon your sword and release a firey slash, cutting off their right wing. The Oceanid fell to the ground with a large thump.

"Don't test me," You warn. "Who are you to decide what I should be like?"

"Y/N?" A voice called out to you with deep distress.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I love you all! Thank you for the support! You can leave recommendations for events and chapter titles in the comments; others' ideas will be credited. Have a good day/night!

Take care.