Part 46 - Aether

*** Time Gap ***

Why do I do this to myself? I pester my inner thoughts. Water dripped over my body as I squint through the fog.

"Xiao?" I call desperately. Where are you, idiot? "Adeptus Xiao!" The cold was infuriating. My knees felt weak but stiff. My eyes wanted to shut. My body wanted to collapse in a heap...

It did...

***

"I'm going to look for Xiao, he should be back by now." Y/N's voice wavered through their concern. Their face filled with concern.

Why can't you forget about him?? I wished, Focus on me. Please just give me a chance! How can I prove to you that, to aluminate the fact that I can give you the world? The world you deserve.

"I'll go," My mouth acted without consent.

Thunder filled the valley, rocking the mountains and alarming the wind—a storm brewing.

"You and Childe should find shelter."

***

My eyes were blurred. Head, dizzy. Where am I? I was unaware of my surroundings nor did I know how long had passed. What was I even doing?

Pushing through the strain on my eyes, I peered through the darkness. A luminescing blue suddenly uncovered the darkness. How did I get here? A ringing in my ear overwhelmed me and the darkness took over as my eyes shut tight.

Moments passed... My body buckled to the floor; I couldn't fight it.

***

Warmth surrounded me like a wool blanket. A beat awoke me.

"Finally," A familiar tone made my spine stand on edge. I opened my eyes, A small light – seemed to glow heavenly – was blinding. Time was slow. Was being the key word...

"What are you doing?!" I shrieked as I pushed Xiao off me.

He stood up and leaned against the nearby wall. "You called," Xiao scoffed. "When I found you, you were shivering. I..." He trailed off.

I only just realised where I was. A shallow cave, yet... There was a collection of different flora. Moss and mushrooms dominated the area as most of the ground was mostly moist. A small bug glowed blue over the puddle of water.

The air was thick. Suffocating. Shivering.

Xiao sighed, "You have a fever." It was hard to see in the darkness, it may have even been because of the sickness but, Xiao's face was plagued with worry.

Xiao raised an eyebrow, "Your staring Aether. Don't fall for me now," He joked. Heat rushed to my face. When did I become so dependent on him? "We need Y/N, they can help you." Xiao changed the subject.

I nodded and braced my body. My arms were shaking and my knees were about to buckle, but I managed to stand. I can't believe I got this sick from the rain! I looked over at Xiao. Surely he was going to call me pathetic. I was useless. But... He picked me up gently.

"I'm not entirely sure where they are but, Y/N knows we're looking for them." He reassured me, "Don't worry, I've got you." I've never been this close to him. His heartbeat was calming, and the warmth of his body helped my shivering.

I was tired and the light from outside was blinding. I wanted everything to disappear at that moment. Everything but him. I found myself clinging to his shoulders, his breath in my ear. Xiao was fast, he scaled the terrain without hesitation but something I'd forgotten. Something within my drowse. And it pulled at my heart...

Y/N.

They were the one who'd saved me that day. They were the one my heart belonged to. So why am I feeling this way for the person who'd made me feel the most jealous I'd ever made? I brushed it off, It's just the fever.

"Y/N where are you?" Xiao mumbled. His voice was strained and his breath was getting heavier. He slowed down.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. I knew Xiao was still recovering from his last injury. He hid it but I know he was in pain.

"Xiao! Aether!" Y/n's voice called out to us. They ran to us, Xiao placed me down but...

He collapsed. "Xiao!" Y/N caught him.

Childe rushed over and picked my unsteady body up, my vision was still blurry but, I stayed conscious till I was sure Xiao was undercover. What is this...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: ok uh... Ehe! I'm back! I feel like at this point all I'm doing is apologising for not updating but I've finally finished school work! I also took a giant mental health break from a lot of things but reading all your comments is so encouraging and I love you all so much I just can't explain how much it means. I will be continuing this book however, I have some ideas for a more medieval, kings and queens romance idea (it's gonna b kinda based on my relationship currently so two girls and a guy)! Ash, you saw nothing <3. Anyways if that interests you feel free to read it.

I love you all so much and sorry for the shorter chapter I wanna switch POVs,

Take care <33333