Part 38 - Aether

"It's getting late," Ayaka stated the obvious. "I hope nothing's happened to them." The room was just as silent as when Y/N had left, except there was no Thoma. 

"As long as Thoma's found Y/N and Xiao, he'll be safe." I tried to convince Ayaka he was okay, though I didn't like those odds. Y/N could fly and teleport. They could be anywhere. The only way Thoma would find Y/N is he they wanted him to but by their body language from before - they didn't. 

"So you're not worried about Y/N?" Ayaka raised an eyebrow. She used to be so formal towards me but, ever since Ayaka met Y/N she... Changed. I don't think Y/N is the best role model for Ayaka. It's true that Y/N takes their responsibilities seriously and so does Ayaka but... Ayaka has become a little too mischievous and I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that. 

Furthermore, when she found out about my feelings for Y/N, she started teasing me. Sometimes when I was just zoned out or thinking about strategies she'd come up and whisper things like, "Thinking about Y/N are we?" 

"I am worried," I admitted. "But Y/N is strong and Xiao is with them." I clenched my teeth shut. Xiao seemed to always find a way to piss me off. Get over it, I told myself. I knew it was a pointless thought but still, I tried to force myself to move on. It was no use. There was something so alluring about Y/N and I just... I just can't let them go. Even though it hurts.

Ayaka's sudden movement caught my attention. They stood up from the table and wandered towards the window. She gently pushed aside one of the panels and peeked outside before sighing. 

"You're worried, aren't you?" I asked as Ayaka turned back around. She nodded slightly. I hesitated, "Do you want to... Go look?" Ayaka's face lit up slightly but then she looked towards the ground.

"I can't," Ayaka sat back down. "I just remembered I have to do something," She rushed off with no further explanation. I looked up at the moon and watched it glow in the darkness. 

Y/N! I tried to get their attention, Where are-

"Here," Y/N answered my question before I even finished it. Their hair was a mess and their clothing looked dirty. A fight? I wondered. Then I saw Xiao. That idiot's hair was also a mess and he looked like he'd gotten wet and not bothered to dry himself yet, he was dry. It couldn't have been a fight, I told myself. After all, who could cause Y/N and that asshole trouble? Xiao mightn't be as strong as me but I have to admit, he's quite strong.

"What's that look for?" Xiao spoke coldly behind Y/N, his tone caught Y/N's attention.

"N-Nothing," I stuttered. Pissing off Xiao was one thing, but pissing off Y/N was just self-destructive. They studied both me and Xiao before letting out a yawn. "We should go tell Thom- Shit!" My thought's silence became loud, "Thoma isn't with you?"

"What?" Y/N looked around in confusion. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know where he would've gone.

"We have to go look for him!" I stood up and rushed out of the room.

Y/N grabbed my hand, "What do you mean?" My attempt to explain ended with a few mismatched syllables. Where is he? I thought. I could only think about what might have happened, Is he okay? "Hey, calm down." Y/N forced me to look them in the eyes, "We'll find him."

"My my," A tall man with silvery-blue hair walked in. "You're very uneasy today. This is not how I expected to meet the renowned traveller. And it seems you've brought their majesty as well as the Adeptus I've heard so much about." The mysterious man looked Y/N up and down before walking around them. "Tell me what the issue is and, maybe I can help."

Paimon floated towards the conversation, Had she been asleep that whole time or did she wake up before? "Well, you see..."

Y/N cleared their throat, "Who are you? And how do we know you're trustworthy?" Trustworthiness is obviously something Paimon wouldn't understand, I almost laughed to myself. She goes and blabs on about anything.

"Kamisato, Ayato." The blue-haired man answered. "As for trustworthiness... Trust is earned over time."

Y/N sighed, "Alright. Well then, do you know where Thoma might be?" Ayato seemed perplexed(confused) by the question. He stood silently for a while. "Nevermind, I'll find him." Y/N's patience had run out. 

They turned to exit the estate but Ayato's words stopped them, "How do you plan to find him?" He didn't seem to be criticising Y/N but they appeared to take it that way. It was unlike Y/N to be so cold but then again, they were cold towards me when we first met. It seemed different though. Like they knew something about Ayato I didn't.

"I have my ways," Y/N's face was a mix of concern and honesty yet they were acting rash. "I'll search the whole dimension if I have to."

"Then let me accompany you," Ayato insisted.

Y/N turned towards the door, "There really is no need, but if you insist... keep up" Xiao followed Y/N out of the room like he was a fucking dog. It was so pathetic how reliant he was on Y/N.

I turned to Ayato and signalled for him to follow them out, "I'm sorry, Y/N's not normally like that."

As we left the estate we were greeted by an unkind group of people surrounding Y/N. Most shouted things like "Look it's the freak from the poster!" and "We're gonna be rich!" while others just stood with their weapon drawn at the ready.

Y/N held their hand in front of Xiao and whispered something into his ear. He protested but eventually walked toward  Ayato and me like he was walking a walk of shame. Y/N crouched to the ground and the hoard started to move in closer - fully circling Y/N. They sent a tremor through the ground and stood up again. The crowd inched backwards - startled. 

"What the fuck!" One screamed. Another, "They really are a monster!" Several other conspiracies were yelled out within the chaos. Xiao clenched his fists beside me. It wasn't like him to hold back, especially when there are people calling Y/N names. I guess he's just following orders like a good boy.

Y/N looked around and when I caught their eye... there was blood dripping down the side of their face while their eye glowed red...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: For those fellow weebs out there yes I am referring to the awakening of the Sharingan but I'm going to name it something else (feel free to comment suggestions) and use it to watch time - past and future. Anyway, who's excited for the fireworks chapter? I hope you're enjoying the book so far and any feedback is welcome!

Have a good night/day and take care!