Chapter 93

When I return to the living room, I'm met with a surprising sight.

Liam's POV

Louis is curled up in a ball on the couch, whimpering, with tears streaming down his cheeks. I rush forward and wrap my arms around him, pulling his trembling body onto my lap. As soon as he feels my touch, he grabs my shirt and sobs harder.

"Louis, sweetheart, what's wrong?" I hold him tight and rock gently, trying to soothe him.

Louis gasps for breath between sobs and shakily mumbles "Da-ah-addyyyy."

"I'm right here, love. I've got you. Daddy's here," I promise, laying my cheek on his head and continuing to rock him. I don't know what specifically caused him to get upset, but I know the trauma of yesterday probably added to it. He needs coddling right now.

It takes a couple more minutes, but eventually Louis calms down to the point where he's just whimpering from time to time. He still has my shirt tight in his grasp, so when I try to pull away and look at his face, I first have to peel the fabric out of his fingers.

"Hey sweetie," I say gently once I can see his face again. As I talk, I use my sleeve to carefully dry the tears on his face. "What's wrong, Lou?"

He sniffles and rubs his eye with his fist. "Daddy was...Daddy went bye-bye, all gone, no more Daddy." His eyes fill with fresh tears and threaten to brim over.

"Oh, Louis, honey," I murmur, pulling him close again before he can start crying. I was gone for all of thirty seconds, maybe fortyfive at most, and he completely fell apart. "I'm here now, Daddy's here. He just went to get your dummy, see?" I pick up the dummy from where I dropped on the couch when I first sat down and offer it to Louis. He accepts it with a small hum and nuzzles his cheek into my shoulder.

"See, love, Daddy didn't leave you all alone. He's still right here. I'm not going to leave you, I promise."

"But...but bad boy," Louis mumbles around his dummy.

"No, Louis, you're not a bad boy. You did a bad thing yesterday, but you had your spankies, and I'm not upset with you anymore, okay?"

I feel Louis nod against my chest. "Mmkay, Daddy."

I'm not sure right now if this is helping Louis or hurting him. I don't know if he needs to be little to process the emotions, or if the emotions are too much to handle when he's little. I'm starting to doubt if this is the right thing to do anymore. It's hard to see him so sensitive and vulnerable. Obviously it's better than how he was back in December, but maybe making him keep this up isn't what he needs. Maybe he needs the time to work through these emotions in his normal headspace. Maybe he's healed enough to do that without our interventions. I don't want to take this too far and make things worse for him. I can't do that to my best friend.

"Daddy?"

Louis' voice shakes me out of my inner monologue.

"Yes, love?"

"Can watch 'toons now?" he asks, sitting up and pointing at the TV. "Want 'toons pease."

Okay, well I guess this can't be too bad for him. He's clearly moving past that little emotional moment pretty well. I shift Louis to sit next to me instead of on my lap and use the remote to pull up a kids' channel. Octonauts is on and Louis immediately starts giggling at the strange little turnip creatures, so I leave the station and pull Louis in close to my side. Whether or not being little in general is what he needs, I'm going to let this moment continue, because he's happy.

Of course, when I get up to make dinner, he almost starts crying again. I end up just bringing him to the kitchen with me so we don't have to go through that whole thing again.