Chapter 57

Zayn's POV

I slip into bed, not wanting to dwell on any of the long-buried emotions that threaten to resurface, stirred up by the first conversation I've had with Liam in ages. Maybe it's not healthy to stifle them, but I have too much else to worry about right now.

I manage to fall asleep quite easily, only to be woken just a couple of hours later by a loud shrieking noise. It takes a couple of seconds of panicked thought to realize that the sound is probably coming from Louis, but as soon as I figure it out, I hurry into his room, thankful that it's just next door to mine.

He's thrashing around in the bed, face red and streaked with tears as he screams, horrid sounds wrenching from his mouth. Somehow, he still seems to be asleep, despite the amount of noise he's making.

"Louis!" I exclaim, even though it probably won't make any difference. I stand next to the bed, slightly frozen. What am I supposed to do? Do I wake him up? Or is that a bad idea? Can I touch him? I sit down gingerly on the edge of the mattress and put a hand on his shoulder. "Louis, wake up, bug. Louis, please. Wake up." I keep my voice as gentle and soft as I can, trying to prevent the panic from seeping in. I shake his shoulder a bit and keep talking gently, trying to wake him without scaring him.

After a couple of moments, Louis suddenly sits upright, his eyes flying open. His pupils are blown wide and his breaths are coming quickly and shallowly.

"Lou, calm down, breathe for me, bug. You're alright, just breathe." I'm scared, but Louis is more scared. I'm assuming this was one of his nightmares that he's mentioned. I don't know what I need to do to calm him, but slowing his breathing would probably be beneficial to start with. "Hey, bug. Shh, just breathe."

Louis is making strangled wail-like noises (A/N not whale-like. That's different. This is not Finding Nemo) in between raspy breaths, tears streaming steadily down his cheeks, showing no sign of stopping anytime soon. His hands are clawing at the blankets, and I can't tell if he wants them off or on. I sit down next to him on the bed and try pulling him close to me. All I can think is to slow his breathing, and I'm hoping holding him will help with that. I don't know very much, but I know that nothing will go well if he hyperventilates.

"Shh, love. Louis, calm down, just breathe with me. Breathe bug." I hold his still thrashing body tight against my chest and whisper reassuringly to him until he starts to breathe slightly more normally. He's still crying much harder than I would like, but he no longer sounds like he's going to make himself pass out.

I stand up and rock Louis a bit, hoping to calm him more, and when I adjust our position, I encounter his nappy, which feels...used. It's saggy and squishy and gross.

"Shall we get a clean nappy on you, bug? I bet that doesn't feel so good, does it? Let's go get you changed." I carry him into the bathroom, but he clutches my shoulders tight and screams when I try to lay him on the floor. "Shh, Lou. I'm not going anywhere, I'll be right here. I just want to get this yucky nappy off you." Okay. He's not stopping. What do I do? I'm tired and I can't really think; it's the middle of the night and Louis is screaming in my ear, in a way that no grown man should ever scream. "Okay, no change for now then. Shall we listen to some music?" I'm already standing back up and walking out of the bathroom, grabbing his dummy on my way to my bedroom.

I find my phone and try to think of something to play for him. Thankfully he isn't screaming anymore, but he's still very upset. I slip the dummy in his mouth, but he's sobbing too hard for it to stay in. I sit on the bed with Louis on my knee, bouncing it slightly and holding him to my chest with one hand while the other is scrolling through YouTube on my phone. For a moment, I consider playing 'Just Hold On' to see if that will get him out of headspace, but I decide that might not be a good idea; it might not work, and if it does, it could be a bit jarring. Instead I play some quiet piano music. I turn the volume up and stick it in my pocket, then go back to pacing and rocking.

"How are you doing now, bug?" I walk back into Louis' bedroom, hoping I will be able to settle him enough to get him changed. It can't be comfortable for him to stay in that nappy. After five minutes of pacing, his cries start to slow.

"Baba?" he mumbles into my shoulder. It's the first word he's said since waking up.

"Yes, I'm right here, Louis. Baba's got you. Can I change you now, bug?" I wander slowly into the bathroom and try to gently detach his grip around my neck. He's still crying, but no longer sobbing or wailing, and he doesn't scream this time, which is good. "There we go, good job, Lou. I'll be quick, alright?"

I lay Louis carefully on the towel and again slip his dummy in his mouth. This time he lets it stay, and I set my phone near his head so the music is closer. I pull down his pants with no difficulty, but when I start pulling at the tabs of the nappy, he kicks his legs around and hits at me with his hands.

One swat gets me right on the nose and I have to sit back for a moment to recover. He's strong, which is dangerous when his movements aren't totally under control.

"Louis, no hitting. Hitting is bad. We don't do that." I approach again, but this time he rolls onto his side so I can't do anything. Okay, time for a new method. I need to distract him. Thinking for a moment, I pop out of the bathroom for a moment and grab one of the throw blankets from the bedroom. It's relatively small so it won't get too much in the way, and it's soft and colourful, so hopefully it will be a good enough distraction.

"Uh!" Louis pouts at me.

"No, bug. I'm not picking you up right now. But look what I have for you! It's soft, would you like to play with it?" I pass him the blanket and he is instantly enthralled, so I take my chance to continue the change.

I open the tab of Louis' nappy and open it to discover that it's not just wet, it's...well, dirty too. The smell is almost unbearable, but I start cleaning him up the best I can. He's crying louder again and trying to wiggle his legs, but I hold them up and out of the way with my left hand.

"Shh, Lou. I'm almost done, bug. Just a couple more moments." I finally finish cleaning him up and dispose of the diaper, then grab a clean one and fasten it on him. "There we go, all clean. Does that feel better?" I stand up and wash my hands, and when I turn around, Louis is holding one hand out for me while the other rubs the blanket against his face, his tears finally stopped.

"Uh!"

"Alright, Lou. I'm coming. Shall we get you back to bed now?" I lift him and take him to the bed, but he won't let go of my shirt again. "It's sleepy time now, bug. Let go of me so I can put you under the nice warm blankets. Don't you want to sleep?"

"Baba..." he whines, and he looks like he's about to cry; his eyes are glassy and filled with liquid.

"No, Louis, don't cry." I don't really know what to do though.

"Mah nuggow?"

"I'm sorry, bug. I don't have Mr. Snuggles here. You have this nice soft blankie though. Would you like to cuddle that?"

"Baba." He says it as a statement. I don't know what he's trying to say. Is he complaining that I'm not giving him what he wants?

"I'm sorry, Lou. Mr. Snuggles isn't here. There's nothing I can do about it."

Now he does start crying, and drops the throw blanket in favour of gripping my shoulders with both hands, tossing his body backwards awkwardly.

Oh. Wait.

"Bug, do you want to cuddle with Baba? Is that what you want?"

"Baba!"

"Alright, Louis. I'll cuddle with you. But only until you fall asleep."

Chapter!

I don't have any questions for you guys today...I'm too tired to think. I just stayed up to finish this chapter and I'm going to fall asleep really soon. (Let me know if you find any mistakes. I'll fix them)

Thoughts?