Chapter 32

"Lou, come on, bud. Let's get you clean"

Niall's POV

I take Louis' elbow and lead him into the bathroom. He's still sniffling, and I feel bad for him. It's been a rough day, and I don't think giving him a bath will make it any better. I can tell that he's feeling pretty vulnerable, especially since he hasn't been properly calmed down from his nightmare. He's not going to want to sit naked in front of me for the entirety of the bath, it won't help his dignity at all. As much as we want him to be open with us, we should probably respect his privacy at least a little. What can I do to help?

Suddenly, I get an idea. If I make it a bubble bath, I won't be able to see what's under the water, so the parts that should be covered will be obstructed. Now, how does one make a bubble bath? Because I'm pretty sure Louis doesn't have any. Hmm...soap is bubbly....

"Haz!" I shout. "Can you grab me the dish soap?"

"Um...sure" He sounds confused, but I'm not going to bother explaining right now. I turn on the water to run a warm bath, then turn to Louis.

"You alright?" He's standing with his arms wrapped around himself and his face looking at the floor, so much that I can't even see his eyes. He trembles a little, and I hear a strangled sob, as if he's trying not to let me know that he's crying. "Aw, bud, can you look at me, please?" Louis lifts his face, but keeps his eyes cast to the floor. I can see now that his eyes are red and puffy from tears, and his entire body is trembling with silent sobs. "Hey, it's alright. You're fine, Lou. We're gonna get you all cleaned up." I reach to give him a hug, pulling our torsos together but keeping our legs apart, not wanting to get his wee on me. "Shh, what's wrong, boo?"

He pulls back to look at me, shakily taking a couple of deep breaths. "N-nightmare..." He breaks off into another heartbreaking sob. I knew he hadn't calmed down enough.

Just then, Harry knocks on the door. "I've got your soap," he calls through the door. I go to get it, not letting him see in the bathroom at all. I quickly squirt some in the tub, then turn off the water, swirling it around to make the bubbles.

"Shall we get you in the bath now? It will feel good." Besides the sticky urine all over Louis' legs, I could tell that his whole body was covered in a cold damp sweat when I hugged him. He just shrugs in response, still crying, and once again looking at the floor. I step forward and start pulling his shirt off, which he doesn't resist, just letting me move his arms as I need to. He doesn't even react when I pull down his soaked trackies and toss them in the laundry hamper. "Hop in bud. It's warm" Finally, he moves, stepping slowly into the tub and sitting down.

I let him sit for about three minutes, just soaking in the warm water, in the hopes that it will calm him some, but when I start soaping up a flannel, Louis is still sitting with his head down, tears trickling down his cheeks. I start by washing his arms and torso, gently scrubbing him with the flannel. He still doesn't react, just sitting quietly and letting out the occasional whimper. It feels rather odd to me to be bathing him, but it needs to be done, and he asked for me, so here I am. I decide to leave his legs for later, not wanting to upset him yet, and grab his shampoo and the detachable shower head.

"Time to get that hair washed, love. Can you lean your head back for me please?" When he silently complies, I sigh before spraying his head with water. Setting the showerhead down, I start massaging shampoo into his head. Surprisingly, the corners of his mouth lift into a small smile as he relaxes into my touch. "That feel good, Lou? Want me to keep going?"

"Please, Dada," he whimpers.

I'm a little taken aback by his words. No hesitation, nothing, just a plead for his 'Dada' to keep massaging his scalp. Is he slipping again?

"Okay, boo." I don't want to say anything to startle him if he is slipping, so I just keep rubbing my fingers through his hair. Eventually though, I need to rinse. I spray his head with warm water, running one hand through his hair to get the shampoo out, and he sighs happily, eyes closing. I pull my hands away and shut off the showerhead again.

"Dada..." There it is again...I don't know how to react.

"Yes, Lou. I'm here. Do you want something?"

"Don't stop"

"Just a bit longer, boo. You can't sit for too long" I turn the water back on and keep massaging his head, enjoying the peaceful look on his face. After a few more minutes, however, I realize that I still need to wash the urine off his lower half.

"Okay, Lou. It's time to wash your legs. Can you stand up for me, please? You can lean on my shoulder for balance." He sighs, but complies (A/N That rhymes!), standing up with one hand on my shoulder as I sit on the edge of the bath with the soapy flannel. I start by gently washing his calves, then make my way up his thighs, not wanting to upset him by going right for his privates. However, the instant I make it to his upper thigh, he reacts, flinching hard.

"Stop!" It's not the relaxed voice he was using earlier...shit...if he slipped, which I think he did, he's back to normal Louis now. "Don't touch me!"

I pull back, not wanting to make him more upset than he already is. I don't like the sound of his voice, it's almost like he's scared, which isn't good at all.

"What's wrong, boo? We need to get you clean."

"No..." He sits back down in the tub, pulling his knees to his chest and wrapping his arms around them so there is no possibility of me being able to clean his bits. "Leave me alone."

I sigh. He's pulling away, maybe even farther than before. What did I do wrong? Everything was going so well...I don't want to upset him; the best thing I can think of is compromise. So compromise is what I do.

"Louis, if you promise you will wash yourself well, I will leave to get you some clean sweats. Can you do that?" He nods shortly, and I sigh yet again.

After I return with the sweats, I help a reluctant Louis dry off before taping a nappy on him as he squirms and complains. Thankfully, he doesn't swear, so I won't need to punish him for it. He's got enough going wrong as it is. Remembering his headache, I give him some painkillers before carrying him out to the living room, knowing he won't come out on his own. Predictably, as soon as I set him on the couch, he's scrambling to get up and walk away, but Harry grabs him, pulling him down for a cuddle. I take the moment to escape to the kitchen with Liam. We have some talking to do.

I hope this is okay. I wrote in a bunch of small segments, so I'm not sure how it flows. 

Another glimpse of headspace! With a bad reaction again :(

I'm thinking to introduce dummies soon...thoughts? How should they go about it?