Chapter 70

Just a warning-the second half of this chapter contains quite a bit of cursing.

"Let's see...once upon a time, there was a brave bear called Mr. Snuggles..."

Harry's POV

Louis falls asleep mid-story, so I leave him cuddled up with his bear, turn out the lights, and close the door most of the way. We never did figure out if he would be scared of the dark in his headspace, but I figure it's better not to risk it, the way he's been acting today. Also, it makes it easier to hear if he wakes up and starts crying, which is pretty likely.

I go back to my living space and sit down with my laptop to get a bit of work stuff out of the way. I was meant to have a few more meetings today, but I had to cancel them to take care of Louis, and I'm glad I did. I reschedule my meetings for later this week, then send some emails to see if I can get out of work tomorrow. It's seeming pretty likely that I will be here with Louis again.

Around midnight, I'm putting away my laptop and tidying up a bit before bed when I hear Louis crying from the bedroom. I abandon my tasks immediately to go check on him.

"Hey, love," I say, turning on the bedside lamp and lifting him onto my lap. "What's wrong?" He's not screaming, doesn't even seem that upset, so I don't think he's had a nightmare. His nappy isn't wet either, as far as I can tell, but that means I have no idea why he's crying.

"Papa," Louis mumbles, nuzzling into my neck.

"Yeah, boo, I'm here." I rock him a little, and after about a minute, his crying stops completely. "What was that about, Loubear? Why aren't you sleeping?"

"Wan'ed cuddles, Papa. S'loney."

I chuckle. He's so cute. I'm glad it's not anything big bothering him. I can totally cuddle him for a bit if that's what he needs in order to go back to sleep. "Okay, Louis. Cuddles it is. Would you like another story?"

"No 'towy, Papa. Jus' cuddles." Louis wraps his arms tighter around me and lays his head on my shoulder.

I'd love to keep sitting like this, but I do want him to go back to sleep, so I pry his arms off and lay him back down, settling next to him in a spooning position, again with him under the covers and me over top. Louis hugs Mr. Snuggles in front of him and sucks on his dummy as he slowly drifts off. When I think he's asleep, I carefully get up, intending to slip out of the room silently.

"Papa?" Louis calls just as I reach the door.

I sigh internally and walk back toward the bed. "Yes, Lou?"

"Where goin'? Stay, cuddles!"

"You need to go to sleep, sweetheart," I explain, stroking his hair.

"Bu'...with you." Louis pouts, and I can't resist. Besides, I know that if I don't give in and stay with him all night, he won't stop crying.

"Okay, Louis. I'll come sleep with you after I get ready for bed, okay? I promise I will come back."

I leave the room, and I can hear Louis whimpering as I get ready, but I just let him cry until after I've changed, brushed my teeth, and used the toilet.

"Okay, Loubear, I'm back. Shh, don't cry, bud. I'm here, and I'm not leaving until the morning." I slip under the covers next to Louis, and he immediately curls up into me, his tears stopping. He falls asleep quickly, and I don't take long to follow.

In the morning, I wake up first, but stay in the bed, as Louis has his arm curled around me and I don't want to wake him. He wakes up slowly, making adorable little noises as he regains consciousness.