Chapter 82

"Niall, what book were you reading to him?"

Liam's POV

"What?" Niall looks confused. "Oh, 'Love You Forever' by Robert Munsch. I thought-"

"What?!" Harry interrupts him. "No, Niall you didn't think! Were you even paying attention to the story, or just reading the words?"

"Well, Louis likes it when I sing, so..." he looks totally confused, but so am I.

"Niall! Think! How did the story end?"

I'm so lost. What are they talking about? Like, obviously they're talking about the book, but I don't know the story at all. Clearly there's some reason that Harry thinks Niall shouldn't have read it to Louis though...

"Lads, what-?" I try to ask, but Niall interrupts me.

"Oh, shit! What did I do?!" he drops his head on top of his folded arms on the countertop. "I'm a shitty person."

"Niall? Harry? Guys, I don't know what's going on!" Finally, Harry turns to me.

"Haven't you read the book, Li?" I shake my head. "Well, Niall, since it was your brilliant idea to read it, why don't you explain?" Harry suggests, rolling his eyes in frustration.

Niall looks up at me, his eyes full of regret.

"It's about a mother and son and how much the mother loves the son, even though he gives her trouble, and then in the end she...she dies." he chokes up a little on the last word. "I can't believe I was so stupid, lads. I'm sorry."

Well, shit. This is quite a situation. I have no idea how we're going to deal with this. Louis hasn't had a breakdown in quite a while, but it seems we have inadvertently triggered a bad one.

"Well, there's not much we can do now, lads," I start, thinking through how we're going to deal with this. "It's possible it'll just blow over while he's sleeping, but I think we should be mentally prepared for him to still be upset and little when he wakes up. Hopefully, he won't be mad at you anymore though, Ni. Whoever ends up with him, just try to be as soothing as possible, and don't make any promises you can't keep. For now, let's go to bed?"

The others nod, and we all head up to our separate rooms, which are thankfully all close to Louis's because who knows when he's going to need one of us. I lay awake for quite a while, worrying about Louis, but eventually, I fall asleep.

I'm woken up sometime later by the sound of screams coming from across the hall. Instantly awake, I stumble over to Louis' room, finding the door open, light on, and Harry already in there.

I join him next to the bed, where Louis still seems to be asleep, screaming and thrashing with an anguished look on his face and tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Louis. Lou, sweetheart, wake up," I say, reaching to touch his shoulder. The contact seems to calm him slightly, and after a few moments of both Harry and I talking gently, Louis stops moving around and opens his eyes. Of course, the positive trend ends there and he immediately starts sobbing loudly about how much he misses his mum. Harry sits against the headboard and hauls Louis up onto his lap, with my assistance since Louis puts up a bit of a fight.

"Hey, boo, you're alright. Papa's got you. Just breathe, Lou," Harry soothes, rocking gently. I rub Louis's back while Harry continues to whisper soft reassurances to him until he calms down somewhat.

"Did you have a bad dream, sweetie?" I ask, my eyes searching his light blue ones as I stroke the side of his tear-streaked cheek.

Louis nods, sniffling. "My, my, my...my mu-ummm," he whines, pulling away from me and nuzzling his face into Harry's chest.

"I know, sweetheart, I know," I respond, not sure what else to say. "Would you like a bottle and some cuddles now?" Getting him back to sleep is probably the best option; sleep deprivation will not help this situation at all. The rest of us are likely going to need to be well rested too, so we'll be able to deal with whatever situations come our way.

"Uh-huh, pwease."

Harry transfers Louis to me and I get him half laying down with his head resting on my chest, so he can drink his bottle and then fall asleep immediately. Harry comes back with a warm bottle a few minutes after I start telling a story about Mr. Snuggles meeting a koala bear and making friends with it.

I continue making up tales about how the two bears went to play in a park while Harry feeds the bottle to Louis, who begins to drift off when the bottle is only half done. I slowly start easing my way out from under the sleepy lad, trying my best not to jolt him awake again. When he falls asleep fully, the bottle still having about one fourth of the milk left in it, Harry and I slip out of the room and turn out the lights again.

I follow Harry down to the kitchen and sit down on one of the barstools while he dumps the remaining milk and washes out the bottle.

"So," I start when he's done, not entirely sure where my train of thought is going. "That, um...now what?"

"Now we let him sleep?" Harry suggests, laughing.

I chuckle softly. "Well, yes, that would be ideal, but I meant, what about the morning? How are we going to deal with this?"

He sighs. "I don't know, Li. I really don't. He's so upset; clearly he's really missing her right now. I wonder if..." Harry trails off, looking thoughtful.

"If what, Haz?" I ask, curious. What idea does he have? It's probably a good one, because Harry's always been good at reading Louis.

He bites his lip, looking unsure, but I'm confident that he's probably onto something.

"What if he just needs some time to grieve? I'm not sure he really had time to do that properly before. I just think it might be good for him to go home, to his family, and just let himself be sad and miss her for a while."

I stare, mind blown by the suggestion.

"That's...that's a brilliant idea. But...what if the emotions get too much? What if he gets stressed at the idea of letting himself go like that in front of his family?" I love the idea, but I just don't want Louis to end up in a situation where he's slipping unintentionally.

Harry nods.

"That's a good point, but somehow I feel like that won't be a problem. I think he needs this. Maybe we could start slowly; maybe get Lottie over here to pick him up and we can observe for a little to make sure everything is okay before they head home?"

"Yeah, that sounds alright. I guess we should probably wait until the morning to call her, yeah?"

"Yeah, definitely," Harry laughs, glancing over at the clock. "She's probably sleeping, and we really should too."

Here's a chapter for you guys! I don't think it's been too long since the last one? but this summer has just made time into a blur, so I don't know.

Anyways, was it good? 

Thoughts on how the morning will go?

Time for an update on my life. This afternoon, I am going to be flying to France, where I will be living for the next four months! I'm doing a semester abroad because I'm studying French in university. So. That'll be an adventure! I don't know how much time I'll have to write, but hopefully I'll find some time.