Chapter 38

Harry's POV

We are keeping the baby monitor close as Niall warned us that Louis might not be happy when he wakes up, because he's going to be wet and he has a dummy, so when rustles and whimpers start emanating from the device, I stand up instantly to get him.

"Wait, Haz," Liam says. "I know we said to treat him big, but I think we should hold off for now. Give it a bit longer. If he's come out of his headspace, he might be a bit fuzzy, so we should keep him comfortable."

Walking into Louis' bedroom, I see that he has the covers all tangled around him and the dummy still in his mouth, but he looks alert in a way that makes me think he's probably not in his headspace anymore.

"Afternoon, boo. How was your nap?" I say as I sit on the bed next to Louis, patting his shoulder gently. He rubs his eyes, and one hand hits the dummy on the way down. He pulls it out and looks at it, confused.

"Why do I have this?" He questions, sitting half up and leaning against the headboard. "I thought you weren't gonna..."

I sit myself next to him and pull him in close to my body, taking the dummy gently out of his hand. "We said we wouldn't force it on you. Dada said that when you fell asleep, you wouldn't let go of your bottle, so he slipped the dummy in your mouth instead."

Louis nods, then rests his head on my shoulder, yawning. I rub his back gently, trying to wake him up a bit more, and also waiting to see if he will tell me his nappy is wet. I can tell it is, I can even smell it a bit. I don't know if he's going to say it though. He's still pretty shy about being wet, even if it's uncomfortable. After a couple minutes, I decide he's not in the mood to let me know.

"Boobear," I say softly to get his attention. "Is your nappy wet?"

He flinches a little, pauses, then nods slowly into my chest, not even lifting his head to look at me.

"Can Papa change you, or do you want someone else?" He shrugs, one arm wrapping tighter around me. "Boo, I need you to use your words please. Can Papa change you?"

Finally, Louis lifts his head, still not looking me in the eye, and says softly: "Papa."

"Okay, love." I don't think this is going to go well. He seems much too shy right now, despite being big. How can I help? "Louis, do you want to bring Mr. Snuggles to get changed?"

Apparently I picked the right thing, because he smiles a bit, then grabs the bear before snuggling closer to me. I lift him up, carrying him to the bathroom, where I lay him on the counter and pull out the changing supplies. As soon as I start pulling down his pants, he blushes bright red and covers his face with his teddy. We really need to work on that, I don't want him to be embarrassed every time we change him.

"Louis, hon, you don't need to hide your face." I know my words won't make much difference, but I have to tell him.

"S'embarrassin," he mumbles into the plush object over his face.

"You don't need to embarrassed, boo," I reassure, pulling open the used nappy. "Oh, love, you've got a rash." His inner thighs are red and quite painful looking. "Does it hurt?" He nods slightly, turning redder still. "Aw, love. You should have told me you needed a change sooner." I'm not entirely usre how to deal with this, but I think we bought some rash cream when we were out, Liam said just in case.

"Payno!" I call, not wanting to leave Louis to fetch the cream myself. Liam comes in a moment later, smiling at the sight of Louis hiding beneath a teddy bear. "He's got a rash; can you bring the cream?"

"Of course. How bad is it, can I look?" Louis squirms under my hands, and I look over to see him trying harder to hide.

"Just grab the cream, yeah?" I say, then turn to the boy on the counter as soon as Liam is gone, gently pulling the stuffed creature away so I can see his face. "I think you should let Daddy look, Boobear. He can help us figure out how to make it hurt less."

He shakes his head. "Please, no?" I guess it would be awkward to have two of your best mates examining your privates.

"If that's what would make you most comfortable, boo. But then I think Daddy is going to change you next time, only because he probably knows better than I do how to help." Louis nods, then covers his face as Liam walks back in.

"I'm just going to take care of it for now," I tell Liam softly, so Louis can't hear. "He's feeling a bit embarrassed.

After Liam leaves, I quickly but carefully put some rash cream on Louis before putting a fresh nappy on him and pulling his pants back up. Once the old nappy is disposed of and my hands are washed, I pick him up and carry him back to the living room where the others are waiting. I try to put Louis down on the couch, but he insists on snuggling right up next to me, and doesn't even show his face to Niall and Liam for the first twenty minutes.

After he wakes up a bit, we spend the afternoon playing around, doing some colouring, and cuddling. Louis is acting shy and oddly clingy, but he is definitely in a big headspace, probably feeling a bit hazy. He gets his nappy changed once more, with minimal fuss but Liam reported that there was a lot of blushing and hiding, and the rash looked pretty angry. Now I'm cuddling him on the couch again while we wait for Niall and Liam to finish dinner.

"Come sit!" Niall calls. I get up, carrying Louis, of course, and set him on a kitchen chair. With how cuddly he's been today, it would probably be good for him to be by himself for a bit. We dig in, and I am thoroughly enjoying the chili they made until I notice that Louis hasn't even lifted his spoon. I catch Liam's eye, then gesture to Louis.

"Lou, why aren't you eating, sweetie?" he questions.

Louis looks at him with a sad look, then looks back down.

"What's wrong, boo? Do you not like chili?" I'm pretty sure Louis has nothing against chili, but I could be wrong.

He shrugs.

"Boobear, you've got to tell me what's wrong. Are you feeling alright?"

He nods, then sniffs as a single tear rolls down his cheek. I instantly stand up, moving toward his chair.

"Love, what's wrong?"

Louis pushes his bowl away, then lays his head in his arms on the table and starts sobbing. I look at the boys in panic, but they don't seem to have any idea either, so I pick him up and bring him to the bedroom. Sitting on the bed with him, I pull him to my chest as he cries. It's probably better to just let him cry it out, as long as he doesn't get too upset, so I sit for a while until his sobs finally slow.

Pulling away from him a bit, I stroke his face with one hand as I speak. "Louis, what's wrong? Why are you so upset, Boobear?"

"I..." He sniffles, then gulps. "I miss my mum."

Well, I didn't plan for it to end that way, but oh well.

He woke up big (sorry everyone who was hoping for little) but still cuddly, so I hope it satisfied some of your requests for cuteness.

I hope the ending makes sense, I'm really tired right now, but I really wanted to write, and once it was done I just wanted to publish it right away.