Chapter 50

Louis' POV

The next morning, I'm feeling mostly better, though I still don't have a ton of appetite, and the lads have gotten me out of headspace. I have spent the morning packing, and we are going to have a conversation over lunch before I fly to LA later this afternoon.

I'm just packing a couple jumpers into my bag when Liam knocks on my bedroom door.

"Hey, Lou. You about ready to join us?"

"Yeah, just a sec. Just gotta close this and I'll be out."

"Need a hand?"

"No, I'm fine, thanks." I shove the clothes down and start trying to do up the zipper, but it gets stuck halfway, the jumpers filling the bag a bit too full.

"Here, let me, boo." Liam's large hands push my smaller ones out of the way and do up the zipper with no problem. I feel my face heat up with a blush.

"I could have done that myself." I don't like how they feel the need to help me with everything when I'm not in headspace. I can fend for myself; I am a fully functioning adult, as much as those three seem to think otherwise.

All morning they have been checking on me and trying to do stuff for me. Once, I got so annoyed that I texted Zayn to complain, even though we don't really talk very much, because he's the only person who knows about this whole situation. I have to say though, in the past month, our relationship has definitely improved. It's nothing like it was a few years ago, but we're getting along and learning about each other's lives again. Most of our conversations have been focussed on me, but I've picked up details about him along the way.

"You looked liked you were having trouble, so I thought it would be faster if I did it."

"I'd rather you didn't." My voice is a bit hard, but I can't help it.

"Sorry, Lou. S'habit now. Ready to come?"

"Yeah, I guess." I don't really want to have this conversation, but I guess it's necessary. I'm a bit confused at what I want, so I'm not sure I'm ready to tell them.

I follow Liam out to the living room, where the others are already sitting on the couches. There is a selection of Chinese takeaway on the coffee table, and Niall has already served himself a plate. The rest of us get some food and settle into our seats, Niall and I on one couch and Harry and Liam on the other.

"So..." Harry says, looking at Liam.

"So what?"

"Start," Niall says. "You're in charge of this 'meeting' or whatever. What do you want us to do?"

"Oh." Liam pauses, thinking. "I think we should go around and all share our thoughts, like expectations and how we think it worked. I'll start, and then Harry, Niall, Louis. Sound good?"

We all nod and settle back into our seats a bit.

"Right. So, going into this, I was pretty hopeful that you would slip easily, Lou, because I figured that would be the best for you. It didn't happen as quickly as I had hoped, but it didn't take as long as it could have either, so that's a good thing. It seems to me like this has helped a decent amount. You seem like you are doing much better, but I'm a little worried by the fact that you've still been having nightmares. They haven't been affecting you as much, which is good, but I don't like that they are still happening." Liam says all this without hesitation, as if he had prepared the whole little speech. "Oh yeah, and after we all go, we'll talk about the future. Harry, go ahead."

"Alright, uh, yeah. When we started, I was doubtful that this would help at all. I thought it seemed like too bizarre of a concept to do any good. And, to be honest, Lou, I wasn't sure anything we could do would help you, boo. From what Liam had told me, I was very worried about you. However, this seems to have done you a world of good! I've loved seeing you so relaxed. One of my favourite things was feeding you your bottle before bed and naps; you just seem so content when I'm cuddling you like that. Um, I know a lot of it was uncomfortable for you, like the nappies, especially at the beginning, but I think after you got a good taste of headspace, everything got easier for you, yeah?" He pauses, looking at me, and I nod hesitantly. "So yeah. I guess in summary, I was hesitant to start, but I was proved wrong, and this has been great."